[3830] CQWW SSB IY3A(IZ3EYZ) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB IY3A(IZ3EYZ) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 04 Nov 2023 20:15:22 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: IY3A
Operator(s): IZ3EYZ
Station: I4FYF

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: JN54
Operating Time (hrs): 45
OpMode: SO2R

  160:  161     5       39
   80:  396    10       54
   40:  421    24       79
   20:  838    33      106
   15: 1710    36      116
   10: 1016    32      101
------------------------------

1st operation after the severe landslide and flooding events that affected the
area back in May.
All roads uphill to the station as well power lines were gone and it took long
time to restore them at least partially.
Station damages were minimal (lost all BVGs) but the antenna works/plans for the
Spring/Summer 2023 we had in mind were screwed for good.
Furthermore, my buddy's home in Forlì was flooded with 2,30mt water, so he
obviously had other things to take care of.

Yet, I wanted to see what could be achieved with the current setup albeit the
station is far from being ready for competitive SOAB-HP at EU level.

All in all, a number of unexpected issues did lead to a frustrating experience
instead of a fun weekend as it should be:

- S9+ noise night & day on 80m (sorry if I CQ'd in your face);
- intermittent high SWR on the 160m ant and completely lost it the 2nd night;
- F12 5BA elements touching each other due to strong winds in the first 12/14
hrs of the contest (100w and S&P only on 20/10m at this time due to
intermittent high SWR);
- PAs delivering 66% of typical tube output on 20/80/160m and 33% on 10m;
- audio routing delay on one PC;

Let's see what we can fix before CQWW CW....

Station setup:
2 x RTXs + 2 x PAs (1 x 8877 each)
10: F12 5BA @10m
15: 5/5L @17/9m
20: F12 5BA @10m
40: 2 x 1/4wl phased verticals (1/2wl spacing)
80: 1/4wl wire sloping vertical
160: 22m top loaded vertical

RX: 1 x BVG 200m N/S unterminated