[3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2023 05:48:07 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 30.8

  160:    0     0        0
   80:    2     2        2
   40:   10     5        5
   20:   38    16       27
   15:   86    19       39
   10:  161    22       53
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials

Conditions were good except it seemed noisy on 40 and 80 Friday night and it
really surpressed my numbers on those bands. Try as I might, I could not make a
single Q on 160. The fault is my lousy antenna, of course, and the only station
I heard with a good, workable signal was K3EST. But he could not hear my feeble
signal and I never even got a QRZ.  I wish there was a local ham that I could
rely on for a 160 Q in these contests!

DXCC in this contest was 62 and WAZ was 25. It was wonderful to hear and work
all the Carribean ops that have now returned since the pandemic!  I was able to
work 32 European stations.  In 2020 I was able to work only 5 and in 2019 I
worked ZERO! I love these condx!  I do think I will lose the three Russian Qs.

Lots of fun, as usual.  This is now my 35th straight CQ World Wide SSB Contest
(all QRP) since my life long friend, Phil N0KE, got me active again in DXing and
DX contesting in 1989.

See you in the CQ WWDX CW next month!  73,  ...Bill  W8QZA - W6QU