[3830] CQWW SSB OL5Y SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, OL5Y@mastrant.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB OL5Y SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 20:28:28 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: OL5Y
Operator(s): OL5Y
Station: OL5Y

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: BKO
Operating Time (hrs): 34
OpMode: SO2R

  160:  111     5       34
   80:  299     7       42
   40:  281    18       66
   20:  184    20       66
   15:  302    26       85
   10:  310    26       73
------------------------------

Club: Czech Contest Club

Comments:

My main TRX SunSDR MB1 is already in the fourth month of repair and I have only
2x IC756 (23 years old transceivers). Since the difference between an SDR and a
conventional radio is quite crucial for contesting (especially on SSB), I
decided not to destroy myself in a contest and rest when I need to. However,
when I did contest, it was full-on - in my case, my first full SO2R.

For me, as a 100W station, the bigger the contest, the less I experience
pile-ups - this contest was no exception. I only managed to "run" (in
N1MM terminology) 7 times in the entire contest, and only made 230 QSOs (15%) on
CQ. Surprisingly quite a few on 10m, which I was looking forward to - CONDX
towards the US were not what I had somewhat hoped for, and especially on Sunday,
the US direction hardly opened up at all. The downside of all SSB contests is
that many super-cheaters (in terms of power used) just infest the bands with
extreme signals (often of very poor quality) and because they also listen badly,
many of them are not even reachable by a decently equipped station. In my case,
it was a few dozen stations with S9+ signals that I just didn't make, even
though no one else was calling them. It's frustrating, exhausting, but I'm
getting used to it :). In a contest where the exchange is constant, SO2R on SSB
is a lot like CW. Of course when CQing it's different - but that wasn't really
my situation, hi.

The participation was huge - stations were on crowded bands even less than 1 kHz
apart. I enjoyed the contest with only one technical problem - on Saturday I had
to find and fix a "cold connection" at the cable joint to the main
antenna. I am looking forward to the CW contest in November, hopefully with SDR
radio :-)

Thank you all for calling me or answering my call!
73! Martin, OL5Y

Radios: 2x IC-756 (1st version)
Accessories: microHAM ARCO, MK2R+, Station masters, Stack masters, switches...
Antennas:
160: Inv. V @ 19m (63 ft.)
80: Inv. V @ 19m
40: 3-el Yagi (AD-3446) @ 25m (82 ft.) + 2-el Moxon (40MA2) @ 35m (115 ft.)