[3830] CQWW SSB K5FUV SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K5FUV SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 15:41:36 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K5FUV
Operator(s): K5FUV
Station: K5FUV

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: AR
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:   10     5        6
   80:   31    11       17
   40:   70    16       42
   20:  183    24       70
   15:  237    24       75
   10:  313    27       77
------------------------------
Total:  844   107      287  Total Score = 899,108

Club: Arkansas DX Assoc

Comments:

Another year, another WW where I don't quite get to my goals. This year I was
aiming at a megapoint and 1,000 QSOs, and slightly missed on both. Still happy,
as it's my highest low power score since I came back from CT.

Friday night conditions were slightly less than expected, with a lower QSO
number than usual. I didn't get what I wanted out of 10 and 15, and 20 wasn't
where I expected it to be.Couldn't make a dent on 10m at all, and by 0007Z had
already decided to go to 15.I did come back to 10, and worked some juicy mults
before 0100Z, but it never felt right for a higer sunspot year.20m after 0100z
was mostly zone 8 and SA. I had hoped for EU based on the last few weeks, So I
went to 40M, and didn't hear the usual suspects, and 80 didn't give me the usual
early EUs that I would expect. Had to stay up until 06:30Z to gt anything at
all.

My sleep got interuppted by 08:30, so I went back to the radio and worked some
stuff on 160m. Then I slogged through 80 and 40 until 20 finally opened up.After
that, it was OK. Higher sunspot years always bring out the fairweather
contestors, and all bands were totally wall to wall. No chance of holding a
frequency and starting a run, so it was S&P the entire weekend, with highest
hour of 49Qs on 10M in the 16:00z hour. When one operates Unassisted, one really
appreciates those who give their call after every QSO, as a lot of time can be
wasted while trying to find out if you need to be in that pileup at all. Getting
through isn't usually the problem, it's waiting in line to find out who you're
trying to work. Life's too short for those who don't ID.

Saturday was good, but lack of sleep forced me to collapse at 0200Z Sunday
(Saturday night), and not back on the air until 11:58Z. This is the longest
break I've ever taken, and I know this is what cost me the megapoint. Sunday was
otherwise satisfactory. There were not quite, uncrowded bands, but that's a good
thing.

All in all, a good contest. I hope I'm back next year.

Radio: FTdx 101MP, couldn't live without it
Antennas: Hex beam @ 50 Ft (not the stacks I used to have in CT, and worst
antenna I've ever used)
         Verical on 40m
         Full size vertical on 80M