[3830] CQWW SSB ZF2B(@ZF5T) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, richnn3w@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB ZF2B(@ZF5T) M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 12:11:50 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: ZF2B
Operator(s): KL2A NN3W
Station: ZF5T

Class: M/S LP
QTH: Cayman Brac

  160:   20     5       11
   80:  247    15       52
   40:  813    22       84
   20: 1318    32      115
   15: 1285    33      118
   10: 2654    32      134
------------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Hello from beautiful Cayman Brac!  First, a big thank you to Stan K5GO for
allowing us to descend on his vacation property for a week - a fantastic QTH
right on the ocean on a lightly populated island.  Please reach out to Stan if
you are considering a radio/dive/get-out-of-Dodge vacation as the property is
just damned excellent!  You can be lazy or as involved as you want for 7 days.
Thanks also to Gerry W1VE for tech advice (including a last-minute radio issue)
and VE9AA for having previously brought down some mike-row-fone gear that was
put to good use.  And to W3LPL, N4RV, WX3B, KT3Y, and ESPECIALLY to K2KW for a
ton of antenna advice.

NN3W arrived Monday; KL2A arrived Tuesday after 26 hours and a triple
connection.

As noted above, Stan's station is a great QTH with two tall towers - one being
very new and awaiting adornment.  Can't wait to see what antennas soar into the
air on Tower 2.  After three weeks of back and forth between NN3W and KL2A, it
was decided that simplicity is better (also having our hand forced by Cayman
Airways which has a strict 55 pound per passenger limit on flights from Grand
Cayman to Cayman Brac): we decided to experiment with a pair of phased verticals
to give us a bit of extra "umph" on the high bands.  It turned out to
be an excellent strategy.

All of the antennas were up and running by Thursday afternoon; all of the very
expensive food was purchased; and it was off to the races.

Low power contesting is HARD - even from a great location.  But, we made a ton
of contacts, fought with what were good but not great conditions, dealt with a
new callsign which got read back to us as KF2B I don't know how many times
(apologies to the real KF2B), drank a lot of rum (cheers to MD4K), and had a
good time over 48 hours.  Ham radio is indeed fun.

The station performed well, the antennas worked, we broke one thing in the shack
(which actually was kind of cool in its post-broken state), we played around
with phonetics, and we trashed the M/S LP record for North America.

Congrats to all the masochist low-power guys out there - especially our good
friends over on Provo (VP5M) and ZW5B.