[3830] CQWW SSB SO9I(SQ9ORQ) SO(A)AB Youth HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB SO9I(SQ9ORQ) SO(A)AB Youth HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 10:28:30 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: SO9I
Operator(s): SQ9ORQ
Station: SO9I

Class: SO(A)AB HP
Class Overlay: Youth
QTH: JO90JW
Operating Time (hrs): 46
OpMode: SO2R

  160:  121     8       48
   80:  386    15       64
   40:  617    26       90
   20: 1071    35      113
   15: 1146    35      119
   10: 1041    35      126
------------------------------

I've been waiting for this competition for a long time. The new antenna system
was completed literally a month ago. This time I devoted the entire week before
the competition to checking the reliability and operation of the station, not to
further expansion!

On the first day, good station activity with JA/YB on 10/15m. The afternoon also
high rate with NA stations. I feel very comfortable there, because my Cubical
Quad set has very narrow characteristics, so the sides and back do not interest
me. By the evening of the first day I only had less than 60qso on the 20m
(worked as multipliers). This was quickly made up for when 10m/15m finished its
work.

Unfortunately, at the same moment my main amplifier stopped working. The keying
relays inside were probably damaged (I lost the receiver from time to time). For
the rest of the competition, I only had to work on one TRX with a
"low-power" PA. It was very difficult for my psyche and further work,
especially in the 40m. This band is wild. Three hams on the same frequency
making a QSO. This is crazy as D4Crazy :D
I planned on getting a maximum of 1.5 hours of sleep. I used this time to try to
repair the amplifier, unfortunately to no avail.

On the second day, propagation was much weaker. In the morning I called in vain
to the east, sometimes for a long time without an answer. Fortunately, stations
from South America showed very good activity. For the first time in my life I
turned the main antenna to SA permanently and I was surprised by such a good
rate.
Almost qso with NA stations at Sunday. The activity mainly moved to 20m, where I
caught up.
At the end of the competition, a good opening at 80m.

As receiving antennas, I built a set of 2x K9AY broadside to SE/NW and 1x K9AY
to NE/SW. The distance between the antennas is 50m. This antenna works on 160m
and 80m. Sometimes her F/B is 5-6S. Unfortunately, this set was not enough to
make stations from NA on 160m.

For my Yaesu, I prepared an adapter supplying power to ModMic at Bose QC25. This
microphone is not suitable for use with Yaesu. Sounds very bad. With Icom is
perfect. However, EQ in the FT-2000 might not exist. It has virtually no impact
on the actual audio as it does in the K3. Thank you to SJ2W and SP2XF for advice
and testing!

Thank you all for great fun on livescore and a great race!
Especially for HG8R, which escaped me when the amplifier broke down, and ED3X,
which gave me the motivation to look for multipliers in the last hours.

Yaesu FT-1000MP & FT-2000
Power amplifier LV6/R140
160m: Vertical 27m
80m: Vertical 27m