[3830] CQWW SSB K0BJ SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K0BJ SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 00:32:41 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: K0BJ
Operator(s): K0BJ
Station: K0BJ

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: KS Zone 4

   40:   16     8       12
   20:   99    19       59
   15:  146    27       64
   10:  182    23       63
------------------------------

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

This was a casual 100% S&P operation. My normally quiet 20M band had S8
noise the first half.  And recent good luck with Europe on 40M didn't pan out as
expected.  Odd conditions - I'm suspicious both flux and geomag activity were
high?

For an 'extra special' start I reached for my nifty wall-mounted boom mic 2
minutes prior to 0000 Friday night .  The angle-adjust thing failed and the mic
mount ripped out of the cork wall.  I made 3 quick, awkward QSOs with the boom
mic handheld, then sought a patch repair using toothpicks in the screw anchors.
That lasted about 90 minutes  :-)   I switched to using my super-lightweight
Heil headset with HC5 mic.  Long Tapcons are now in the shack and when a 8"
long  3/16" masonry bit arrives to mount through the cork and insulation to
the foundation I should be back in biz with the out-of-way-til-needed boom mic.

There are always some neat mults on for CQWW. It was fun logging ZF1A - I'm in
that shack nearly every year.  Good to work KU1CW Alex at 3W9A, the 7A2A gang,
and especially E2A - I was there for WW SSB just a year ago and did 5 tower
climbs as they de-mothballed after COVID.  I logged them on 15 but didn't quite
have propagation for 10 and 20M QSOs..... despite having my "Thai RST
Juice" on hand.

K0BJ  SOHPA
        Band     QSOs     Pts   ZN  DXCC Pt/Q
           7      16      40    8   12   2.5