[3830] CQWW SSB WA8Y SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB WA8Y SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 00:23:24 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2023

Call: WA8Y
Operator(s): WA8Y
Station: WA8Y

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Midland, MI
Operating Time (hrs): 29:11

  160:    3     1        1
   80:   18     6       11
   40:   58    16       38
   20:  215    27       82
   15:  202    25       84
   10:  204    22       84
------------------------------

Club: Bay Area DXers

Comments:

My 5 Band 2 element Quad broke; As I turned the rotator to the the SE the
signals cut out.  This condx worsened to the point I could not turn the antenna
beyond due North or reception would cut out (the whole Eastern half was out and
SWR was very bad of course, but no damage to me RF-Kit LDMOS amp).
Looks like a will climb my 70 foot tower tomorrow.
Friday night; making Qs was hard.  I got better the next day and continued to
improve but at a rate of only 30Qs per hour was about it.
Saturday; I worked a lot on 10 & 15 meters.
Sunday; I could see 20m was lacking Qs so a set a goal of 200Qs because I
already made 200Qs on 10 and 15m.  Despite the broken Quad I did it.  I made
215Qs on 20m but at least ten of those are USA and won't count.
I found a place to run on 10m and it quickly closed in around and on top of me,
and so I QSY's several times but when I realize a Spanish Ham had spotted me. I
returned and made Qs at my highest rate (about 50Qs/hr)
My Voice Keyer was a voice saver and a wife saver (the shack is below the
bedroom).