[3830] IlQP N8II Fixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, HARTLEY145@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] IlQP N8II Fixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2023 16:21:37 +0000
                    Illinois QSO Party - 2023

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Fixed LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 4:40

  160:
   80:     21
   40:     53       32
   20:     65       25
------------------------
Total:    139       57  Mults = 71  Total Score = 23,785

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

This QP is a "polar opposite" of many. Quite a few "real
contesters" live in IL and they know the code, so CW dominates over SSB
activity. there seems to be a pattern on SSB in QP's that activity on 40M peaks
early, then a lot of casual ops quit losing their ability to work anyone out of
their region. The skip zone stays short well into the evening, so please stay in
there until the band opens to distant areas.

Between having a cold and the XYL getting up way too often, I was feeling tired
in the morning and again in the evening after a serious effort in NYQP. This one
was unassisted (71 mults in less than 5 hours a big surprise!), just me
searching for Q's. 20M was incredibly perfect with huge signals until after
sunset. 40 started improving from very marginal about 20Z. After a dinner break
the IL activity at 22Z had reached a nadir much worse than I expected, so I quit
until a little push to work 80M in the last hour.

Mobiles AD4EB and NU0Q were both doing an excellent job providing rare counties.
Thanks to all of the mobiles and county line expeditions (several line ops
worked mostly SSB).

It was nice to be able to speed up my CW sending above crawl level. Many thanks
for the QSO's!

73, Jeff