[3830] TBDC K9MMS Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K9MMS@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] TBDC K9MMS Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 19:40:31 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Pre-Stew

Call: K9MMS
Operator(s): K9MMS
Station: K9MMS

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 4.5

Total:  QSOs = 185  Total Score = 457

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

K4D at 100 watts ; TX: INV-L ; RX: Hi-Z-23, 3 el array.

Overall, activity seemed rather low.  DX was about nil.  The only DX worked was
ZF2VE who called me during a CQ run.  I could not get NP2X to hear me.  Normally
there are multiple Carribean stations on during TB events.

I went QRT early Saturday night to make it easier to get up before sunrise on
Sunday.  I had hoped to hear/work JA, VK, ZL, KH6, or KL7 in the early morning,
but I never heard any of them.  I had noticed on a few days before the TBDC that
VK, ZL, and JA were reported on Top Band in the morning.

First session: 2.5 hours, 152 QSOs (mostly CQs) with good rates at times.  The
second session (morning) was mostly tuning around with very poor rate -- mostly
a waste of time and missing sleep.  Most stations were "worked
before," and no DX heard.  I did manage to work VE7 for longest
"DX" :)  About 70% of QSOs via CQ runs.

On the positive side, the RX noise level was much lower than usual -- only about
S1-S2 -- very rare here for 160 meters.

Thanks for the Qs.
73,
   Gary . K9MMS