[3830] Oceania CW NH6O SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] Oceania CW NH6O SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2023 11:54:35 +0000
                    Oceania DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: NH6O
Operator(s): NH6O
Station: NH6O

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Honolulu HI
Operating Time (hrs): 5:07

   40:    4     4
   20:   42    38
   15:   12    10
   10:   48    34
-------------------
Total:  106    86  Total Score = 19,780

Park portable - Elecraft KX3, 9.5m vertical 9:1 end-fed in a tree.

Had a little time this weekend to work the final 5 hours of the contest. Got a
good start on 10m from 01-03z working mostly stations around the Pacific rim.
Tested 20 and 15 briefly, but 10 was definitely the best band until after 03z.

After 3z, 20 was finally good to the US mainland, but Europe surprisingly popped
open for me with a quick run of calls from IZ8EPX, EA3O and HA8IB around 0330.
At 0340, I was called by R8FT. The signal was coming in multipath with delays -
I really thought it was 2 or 3 stations calling me all zero-beat. It took me
several attempts to pull out the call and exchange, and I apologize - I was
literally hearing triple, and the signals were all of similar strength and
slightly out of sync!

20 remained the workhorse band for me between 04 and 06z, but I did try 40, 15,
and 10 regularly whenever my rate on 20 slowed. 15 was never as good for me as
10 and 20 were, and 40 was quite noisy - my setup was near a marina, and the
nearby boat engines occasionally created a lot of RFI/engine noise that made
reception difficult. And being outdoors in a park, ambient noise from parkgoers
was a challenge too (even with over-ear headphones!)

This was a fun session - it's a blast as a QRP station to get to run a frequency
from time to time, and I certainly need the practice! Thanks to all who everyone
who pulled out my 5W signal, and special thanks to the EU stations for their
patience/QRS as we completed exchanges through the flutter/multipath.

Hope to be back for this event next October.
Aloha and 73/72, Bob in Honolulu