[3830] CaQP N8II SO LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, HARTLEY145@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP N8II SO LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2023 00:21:03 +0000
                    California QSO Party - 2023

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO LP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 13:10

   40:   36      5
   20:   86    105
   15:   90     51
   10:   65     55
--------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

About the only thing that went really well was finding all 58 counties, the last
being NU6V in SFRA at 0213Z. It was hard to believe that my number 57 county was
two San Benito ops answering my 20M SSB CQ at the same time 0138Z (WR6E and
N6SBC)! I ran some stations on 20 SSB most all of them between 22Z and 02Z.
Running on 10 and 15 SSB never really got traction. I had enough line noise on
20 and 10 to be a real nuisance, pretty windy on Saturday, finally improved but
still there Sunday afternoon. It would have been difficult and unproductive to
operate more than 16 hours from here. I took it pretty easy. By mid Sunday
afternoon, there was very little left to work, only operated 45 minutes in last
3 hours. 10 meters was not as good as it could have been, but from 16-19Z was
pretty well wide open to all of CA,  but CA activity never quite caught up with
the opening.

Congrats to K7SV for a super effort under challenging conditions with most every
one able to work CA from closer in with much bigger signals. Also, I too was
beaten out by EU stations on 10 and 15 meters, I don't see how he found so many
CW QSO's.

About 40% of the SSB stations were either splattering, had over compressed audio
(some big guns for sure), had distorted audio, and a few had RF feedback. After
you spend thousands of dollars on your radio, please make sure your signal is
clean with good audio quality before the contest.

Thanks for the QSO's, many took a lot of time sitting in line.

73, Jeff