[3830] CaQP W6ML(W6KC) SO(A) CntyExp HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w6kc@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CaQP W6ML(W6KC) SO(A) CntyExp HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 19:34:01 +0000
                    California QSO Party - 2023

Call: W6ML
Operator(s): W6KC
Station: W6ML

Class: SO(A) HP
Class Overlay: CntyExp
QTH: Mono County
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5

  160:
   80:    73    30
   40:   239   100
   20:   404    67
   15:   375    55
   10:   191     4
--------------------
Total:  1282   256  Mults = 58  Total Score = 252,764

Club: Bishop Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

This year I wanted to give my 3 element 20M wire beam a try to take advantage of
the improving propagation.  I had not used it in 10 years and I forgot how big
it was. It didn't fit very well in the space I had available...I couldn't get it
that high, it wasn't level (35 ft at the high end and 25 ft at the low end) and
it was partially blocked behind a cabin, but it seemed to work pretty well
anyway.

All my other antennas were dipoles. Unfortunately, my 10M dipole stopped loading
on Saturday afternoon after about 50 QSOs. I had to use my 80M dipole on 10M for
the balance of the contest. It would only load to about 500W, but I was still
able to get another 140 10M QSOs in the log. Missed Sections: NL, NT, NU, PE

One highlight was making 1,282 CW QSOs, my most ever in CQP, but I was
disappointed in not being able to break on all-time best CQP score of 254,562
points from 2021.

And thanks to my neighbor in Mammoth Lakes, Hank, W6SX for helping me resolve
several RFI and K4 issues that were part of my portable setup challenges.  Also,
thanks to N6DE and the NCCC doing another really great job in putting on this
CQP.

Rig: K4, KPA-1500 and all wire antennas in the pine trees.

73, Jim W6ML/W6KC
Mammoth Lakes CA, Mono County