[3830] CaQP K6M M/2 CntyExp HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP K6M M/2 CntyExp HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 18:16:47 +0000
                    California QSO Party - 2023

Call: K6M
Operator(s): K4XU AA5TL WB7WHG K7PTC N7GND KI7IOC
Station: K6M

Class: M/2 HP
Class Overlay: CntyExp
QTH: modoc

  160:
   80:    32
   40:   304    203
   20:   385    404
   15:   408     53
   10:   377    382
--------------------
Total:  1506   1042  Mults = 58  Total Score = 383,496

Club: CENTRAL OREGON DX CLUB

Comments:

This was our 25th consecutive trip to the fire lookout in the Modoc NF. It is a
200 mile trip from our home in Bend. The lookout tower was all locked up but the
toilet was open ;-).

Two trailers provided shelter for the CW and SSB stations, with three ops each.
The weather was very nice but windy. There was no interstation interference even
when running on the same band. 10m was HOT. K7PTC ran 28400 for the last 4
hours.

The SSB station used a TH3 on the 45' tower trailer and a 80m OCF at 60', the CW
station used a TH3jr on a 35' falling derrick tower and a 40m GP - also loaded
up on 80m with the tuner (and 130' of RG8X). Both stations used
K3s/kpa500/kat500.

It was windy - SWR on the 40m GP suddenly went high and we discovered that some
of the fiberglass sections had collapsed. No big deal to fix but in the dark.
The OCF (Palomar KW) developed an arc in the balun and was replaced in the dark
with a huskier 80m OCF.