[3830] CaQP N6TR SO CntyExp HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CaQP N6TR SO CntyExp HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 01:55:45 +0000
                    California QSO Party - 2023

Call: N6TR
Operator(s): N6TR
Station: N6TR

Class: SO HP
Class Overlay: CntyExp
QTH: Siskiyou

  160:
   80:    13
   40:   245   117
   20:   306    73
   15:   267   103
   10:   178    23
--------------------
Total:  1009   316  Mults = 60  Total Score = 219,540

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

About a month before the CQP - noticed Siskiyou county didn't have anyone signed
up for any CW QSOs, so decided to rent a VRBO and head there for the weekend.  I
guess AA6MU signed up just at the last minute and joined me.  We had a pretty
good horse race going on.

Station was a K3 and Ameritron AL-800 which is good for about 500-600 watts out
- but also acts as a nice antenna tuner.  I had a C3 antenna mounted up about 13
feet mounted on the back of my pickup - and a 40 meter inverted vee about 20
feet high.  One thing I am going to check on in the future is if the rental QTH
has solar panels.  I literally tied one end of the 40M wire to the solar panel
structure.  Luckily - at night, it doesn't make any noise.  It was tough on 20
meters however, and my best times were early morning or just after sunset on
that band.  80m QSOs were made with the 40M dipole - and it seems I was very
weak.  Maybe next year, I will come up with some traps or something to enable a
bit better signal on that band.  Missed PE, NT and NU.  Last mult worked was a
VE4, but worked two others later.  I think Idaho was only WJ9B - but managed
three QSOs with Will.

Not good enough to beat my "cousin's" record however.  Maybe next
time.

Great to work Europe on 4 bands.  It was tough to do much on SSB - not like the
good old days from Ventura County and a big signal.

Thanks for all of the QSOs!  The activity level was fantastic.  Had to QRT with
about 4 hours left to head back home.