[3830] MWaveFallSprnt NV4B/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt4xa@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] MWaveFallSprnt NV4B/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2023 00:26:51 +0000
                    Microwave Fall Sprint - 2023

Call: NV4B/R
Operator(s): NV4B
Station: NV4B/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: MS/AL
Operating Time (hrs): 5:30
OpMode: SO2R

Total:  QSOs = 7  Total Score = 1,388

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Not a lot of QSOs per hour -- or gallon -- to be had in this one in the
Southeast, especially with absolutely rancid band conditions.

I went out with 902, 1296, and 2304 to two of my favorite operating spots,
Woodall Mountain (EM54vs) and Colbert Mountain (EM64dq).  I worked four unique
calls.  WD9EXD was the best DX at 329 km on both 902 and 1296 from EM64dq.
Special thanks to Marshall for making the long trip down from Chicago to his
contest station in EM57rn for this one -- thanks in large part to him, this is
the highest score I've made in an Microwave Sprint.

Attempts with a few others farther away were unsuccessful.  A few usual
operators from the Huntsville area were limited-time, missing, or having
problems, but I was fortunate enough to hang around long enough for K4QF to pop
up near the end, and we had a slam-dunk 1296 CW QSO over a 139 km path.

Four of the QSOs were on 1296 with the other three on 902.  There was no one on
that I knew about on 2304, so I never even set up the antenna.  Mode breakdown
was 3 CW, 2 FT8, 1 FT4, and 1 Q65.

This contest brings to end another successful Fall Sprint and overall 2023 VHF
contest season for me.  Thanks to everyone who worked (or tried to work!) me in
the contests.  I am looking at generally moving away from a Limited Rover-style
operation toward a 10-or-more band operation in 2024, but we'll see whether I
find enough round tuits to make it happen!