[3830] 432FallSprnt VE3CRU/R Rover QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cru@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] 432FallSprnt VE3CRU/R Rover QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 19:26:53 +0000
                    432 MHz Fall Sprint - 2023

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU/R

Class: Rover QRP
QTH: FN03/04/14 combos
Operating Time (hrs): 1.0

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This was a same day decision to engage.  You cannot keep a good Rover down.
On Sept 23rd a motorcyclist lost control and crashed into my old Rovermobile.
I was not hurt, but shaken and my vehicle was a write-off.  The motorcylist was
described as in critical condition.

I am now driving a 2021 rental RAV-4 with a nightmare of symbols in front of the
driver.

I convinced Rick VE3IQZ to rove instead of hilltop.  We had lots of fun as he
discovered the grid operating places used by so many.  I changed the 817 to 2.5W

as everything was inside the vehicle.  The 817 was seated where coffee cups go,
using the rubber ducky on an angle leaning away from me at the height of the
windshield.  It worked exceedingly well.  It was dark outside and dim inside and
I disappeared at times from hitting band and going off frequency or wrong mode.
I stayed in the valleys and let Rick VE3IQZ enjoy the hilltops.  Worked well.

Neither had a computer, I did not have a cellphone, so no assist from KST and
this I like.  Independence!

The rush is on to find a replacement vehicle.  It will not be another minivan.
A new challenge in setting up and continuing to rove, but I can do it.

I want to thank the sponsors and all who participated in the Sprint.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU/R