[3830] 222FallSprnt K1WHS Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1whs@metrocast.net
Subject: [3830] 222FallSprnt K1WHS Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2023 19:26:55 +0000
                    222 MHz Fall Sprint - 2023

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K1WHS
Station: K1WHS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN43mj

Total:  QSOs = 46  Mults = 27  Total Score = 1,242

Club: North East Weak Signal Group

Comments:

The Sprint started off with a bang and loads of activity. I had ten contacts in
the first three minutes. I had 23 contacts in the first 30 minutes of the
sprint. There were stations all over the place, and it was tremendous fun. I
picked up seven more in the 2nd 30 minute period and it was downhill from there.
 Still, those numbers are great for a VHF band so I am not complaining at all.
I spent some time looking for EME signals and that is a big drain on any rate
that you be trying to beat. The second hour had six Qs, while Hour 3 had eight
QSOs. By 02:00 the band was empty for the most part. I did try some skeds on
meteor scatter and EME and picked up a few grids that way.
    I thought conditions were pretty darn good from my vantage point in Northern
New England. A little enhancement made signals a bit easier to find!
Now if we could just triple the activity on 222 MHz, we would have wall to wall
callers for over two hours! Imagine that!  Best DX to the west was VE3ZV on SSB.
Best DX to the South was W5EME in EM32 on EME. Best South tropo DX was KO4YC in
FM17. Best Dx to the northeast was my only station to the northeast and K1DY.
Thanks Bill!  Spending time on EME is always a challenge as you tend to miss
many terrestrial stations in the time spent digging for weak lunar signals. I
did it anyway as it sure was a lot of fun to play with the various propagation
modes. The Sprint sure was a lot of fun for me. I had to walk home in the dark
and it was rather chilly after 11 PM.  I made sure that I did not fall in the
big hole in the road for a new culvert that we dug. The moon light helped me to
avoid the mud hole. We finished installing the culverts on Wednesday, so now I
can drive up the hill again. WooHoo.