[3830] CQ WW RTTY N4SS(@W5MX) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY N4SS(@W5MX) M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 22:42:00 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2023

Call: N4SS
Operator(s): W5MX K0XV AC6ZM
Station: W5MX

Class: M/S LP
QTH: KY

   80:   78       30       5     6
   40:  266       45      51    19
   20:  321       46      76    25
   15:  520       40      89    30
   10:  320       23      68    23
------------------------------------
Total: 1505      184     289   103  Total Score = 2,049,984

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

A very last-minute operation. I was originally intending to operate as a single
op with classic overlay, but Jim K0XV called and asked about operating. So,
Friday evening after a full day of work, ran home to get the stuff together to
head to the station (1/2 hr away). Jim was due to arrive around 01:30Z so would
start it off myself. Had some problems getting the RTTY to work correctly with
the rig and N1MM and after an hour, I just re-installed MMTTY and got it working
right away. It has been a while since I ran RTTY (January), not a mode I ever
use outside of a contest HIHI.

In any case, we entered as a MS, low power and "worked" pretty solid
between the 2 of us until Sunday morning when Juan AC6ZM showed up and helped
operate until the end of the contest. Jim ended up having to QSY about 17:00z
Sunday. In any case, we kept the radio going pretty much all weekend.
Conditions seemed great from here, with of course 15 being THE money band. Good
openings on 10 here and there. 20 was, well, 20 as it is during the high solar
cycle period with openings somewhere all 48 hours. 40 was ok, hard with low
power. Same with 80, but along with VERY noisy RX due to storms to the west. I
have not put the beverages back up after taking most of them down for the summer
so TX and RX on same antenna for 80.

Worked some great DX and it's amazing what low power will do with some decent
antennas and location along with adapting to situations. As I have said before,
low power requires a different strategy, and you might as well forget about
holding run frequency if someone moves in on you. Run when you can, when you get
bumped, S&P until you find another clear freq. Being an opportunist is
required!
Some good scores in the Low Power category.

There were a couple of "low power" stations we heard several times
through the weekend with VERY loud signals. They must have absolutely incredible
antenna systems to put out such signals. Conditions were good, but not THAT
good.

In any case, great contest all and we are really excited about the season before
us and another great year of working all my radio friends!
Best 73's
Bryan, W5MX (N4SS) and team