[3830] CQ WW RTTY ZL7IO SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ WW RTTY ZL7IO SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2023 01:03:25 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, RTTY - 2023

Call: ZL7IO
Operator(s): ZL7IO
Station: ZL7IO

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: Chatham Island @ ZL
Operating Time (hrs): ~42

   80:   21        1      13     6
   40:  303       36      51    23
   20:  495       37      65    26
   15:  517       41      61    22
   10:  489       48      35    22
------------------------------------
Total: 1825      163     225    99  Total Score = 2,639,053

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

This was the first ever activation of Chatham Islands in a CQ WWDX RTTY contest.
I'm fairly certain this will be a Chatham record...

The pile ups on day one were massive. Day two was much more relaxed and at the
end I was CQing and it felt like the 100 W and wire antennas I was using.

The site is off grid and depending on solar power and batteries. The weather
during the weekend was a mix of wind and rain but no sun. I was concerned the
power would not last for the two days. On Sunday we had to start a generator to
re-charge the batteries. My casual operation the first few days was all done
with low power and I knew we got out to all directions.

My K3 gave up on Thursday before the contest. Luckily we found a dusty but
working Yaesu in Chris's (ZL7DX and my host here) collection. It was only ten
minutes before contest that I got all working and configured with the other
radio.

Operating was a lot of fun and the result better then expected. The location is
great for radioing; elevated and down sloping to the main directions. I did not
feel like low power until the last quarter. The ZL7 is surely 20 db worth.

The antennas are simple:a hexbeam, a DX commander vertical (40-10) m and a
vertical for 80 m.

I will be back for more in Oct & Nov.

73 Holger
ZL3IO & ZL7IO