[3830] TxQP WA2VYA SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wa2vya@msn.com
Subject: [3830] TxQP WA2VYA SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 02:29:08 +0000
                    Texas QSO Party - 2023

Call: WA2VYA
Operator(s): WA2VYA
Station: WA2VYA

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: TEXAS
Operating Time (hrs): 14.3

  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  564     0       0  Mults = 153  Total Score = 265,376

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Score includes 6500 bonus points for working Texas mobiles stations.  Thanks to
all of the mobiles out there, specifically, W5CT/m, N5NA/m K5PS/m AD4EB/m K5EC/m
K5CM/m N4CD/m NA5YO/m and W5ZA/m

IC-756PROIII Tokyo HyPower amp 400 watts output.
80m inverted vee up 39'
Cushcraft R8 vertical up 12' 6"

Conditions were better this year than recent prior years, but I lost 3 hours 40
minutes to a 54 minute late start and thunderstorms on Saturday afternoon.

Operating CW only also lowered my score compared to being in the Mixed Class in
prior years.  I had an issue with my 40m SSB dipole just before the QSO party
started and decided to operate CW only.

At the same time, QSO rates were higher during the short periods of time I was
on 80m, 15m and 10m.  The best rates were 71 on 20m during the 2200 hour on
Saturday and 64 split between 40m, 20m and 15m during the 1400 hour on Sunday.
It was nice to have good propagation on 15m and 10m this year.

So, the contest was fun, except for the break while disconnected during the
thunderstorms.  In Texas, thunderstorms are violent and not to be taken lightly,
especially after 3 months with 100 plus temperatures every day and no rain.

Operating CW only this year compared with Mixed in past years also reduced my
Texas and out of state multipliers.

We need logging program coordination when we have five State QSO parties on the
same weekend.  I have operated all of these excellent QSO parties in the past,
but putting many QSOs from the IA, NH, NJ, WA SR in the log while operating the
Texas QSO Party is difficult.  Changing log files while running stations doesn't
work well.  The IN, DE, 7QP and New England in May coordinated some time ago,
and it made it possible to contribute real scores to each Party.

Thanks for the QSOs and cu in the next contest.

QTH: Cedar Creek, Bastrop County, Texas Grid Locator EM10ga.

73, Frank WA2VYA