[3830] NA Sprint RTTY K3CCR(N3UM) HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, benn3um@comcast.net
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint RTTY K3CCR(N3UM) HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 00:26:28 +0000
                    NA Sprint RTTY Contest - September

Call: K3CCR
Operator(s): N3UM
Station: K3CCR

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 2.8

   80:  21      1.3
   40:  15      0.7
   20:  17      0.8
---------------------
Total:  53     Mults = 22  Total Score = 1,166

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

K3CCR is the club station at the Collington continuing-care
retirement community at FM 18OW in MD, just east of DC. No Multi
ops in RTTY Sprint 9/23, so Mike W5MPB and I (N3UM) did parallel
SOHP; Mike used his own call, I used K3CCR.

We did the Sprint to check our RTTY setups, practice for CQ RTTY,
and see what fun & effort came from the novel rules.

The QSY rule & serial # added 2 steps per Q, so at first we made
many errors. On 40 M at start I saw no sigs. I got no Qs till 0010Z,
then 9 Qs in 28 min, a BK, and 6 Qs in 13 min. Starting on 20 M Mike got
Qs sooner, but his Q total and score at 04Z were ~the same as mine.

On 20 M 0114-0159Z I got 17 Qs, 6 of them in CA. After a snack break
I got 21 Qs on 80 M 0236-0349Z, 3 in CA. I then CQd and tuned till
04Z, but saw no non-dupe calls.

I had more fun and fewer errors on 20 and 80 M; many exchanges were
pre-filled. And, I was a bit practiced. I logged 53 Qs but only 28
different calls, many top contesters. I thought maybe they liked the
sprint because the extra QSY-rule and serial # steps were a stimulating
challenge.