[3830] ARRL Sep VHF NV4B/R Unlimited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt4xa@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF NV4B/R Unlimited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 22:07:23 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  361   132  Total Score = 64,944

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

Claimed score includes 7 grid activation multipliers (EM54, 55, 63, 64, 65, 73,
and 74).

Thanks in part to issues with my second tablet computer, I was late getting
started and had to change plans at the last minute to start from my usual EM64
hilltop, Colbert Mountain, instead of from Lookout Mountain in EM74 as planned.
I was QRV by 1815Z and had two hectic hours at the start.  A touch of 6-meter
sporadic-E to the northeast added a few Qs and mults.  This location worked well
as usual to coordinate with AG4V/R as he circled the grid corner approximately
80 miles north of me but with a good enough path for easy QSOs up through 1296,
then later to work K4CNY/R as she circled 54/55/64/65.  After sunset, I tore
down and made a trip around the local grid corner as well, working K4CNY/R
across most grid combinations until she went home before I got to EM65.
Activity otherwise slowed down in the absence of good conditions Saturday night
with my last QSO coming from EM65 around 0430Z, arriving home close to 0600Z.

Feeling the need for more than two hours of sleep, I got up around 1130Z Sunday
morning and decided to head to my other usual spot, Woodall Mountain, EM54vs.
Activity was generally lower than I'd hoped Sunday morning, although AG4V/R
going out to the EM44/45/54/55 corner in Memphis -- which similarly resulted in
relatively-easy Qs on six bands -- was a huge score boost.  Although conditions
were generally average, 902 and 1296 seemed to work better than usual, with AG4V
and I completing a 1296 QSO from his EM45xe spot that hasn't worked so well for
us in the past.  I lost a good bit of time trying to get the problematic 222
tablet -- which worked fine after a rough start on Saturday -- to key the 222
radio using WSJT-X via N1MM.  I eventually gave up and used WSJT-X directly,
which worked fine except for no longer having an instant view of my score.  This
was the only major technical sag of the weekend.

I tore down at Woodall around 1945Z, made a quick lunch break, and headed east
to Gadsden to circle the EM63/64/73/74 corner before going on to a high spot in
EM73 or 74.  On the way, the best 6m Es opening of the weekend occurred to the
west and southwest, resulting in a number of in-motion Qs and mults.  K4CNY/R
and I made our Qs around the grid corner, then I parked in EM63 for awhile
before making a trip to Chimney Peak in EM73du.  This was my first time
operating from that location, and it turned out to be a disappointment.  Chimney
Peak is a hangout spot for students from nearby Jacksonville State University,
and I had to park near several vehicles to operate.  These may have been
affecting the signal from my mobile antennas.  It didn't help that activity had
trailed off quite a bit in the 01Z hour, although the sporadic-E on 6 continued
until almost 02Z.  It would be interesting to see how well that location works
when there is a decent amount of activity and fewer other vehicles in the near
field.  After not making a single QSO between 0201 and 0245Z, I headed home.

This was a fun contest for the most part, and the 6m Es was a pleasant surprise.
 However, activity levels in Alabama really need a boost, and I'm trying to do
my part to promote weak-signal operation.

Thanks to all of you who go out of your way to look for rovers.  It is greatly
appreciated.

Band/mode breakdown:
 Band   Mode  QSOs     Pts  Grd  Pt/Q
    50  FT8    137     137   54   1.0
    50  MSK1     2       2    2   1.0
    50  USB     15      15    1   1.0
   144  CW       1       1    0   1.0
   144  FM      16      16    1   1.0
   144  FT8     70      70   22   1.0
   144  USB      4       4    1   1.0
   222  CW       3       6    2   2.0
   222  FM      26      52    3   2.0
   222  FT8     21      42   11   2.0
   420  CW       3       6    2   2.0
   420  FM      15      30    2   2.0
   420  FT8     32      64   10   2.0
   420  Q65      1       2    1   2.0
   902  CW       7      21    6   3.0
  1240  CW       5      15    5   3.0
  1240  FT8      2       6    2   3.0
  1240  Q65      1       3    0   3.0
 Total  Both   361     492  125   1.4

Equipment:
6m:  ICOM IC-7100 at 100W, MFJ 1762 3-element Yagi (stopped), MFJ 1728B
quarterwave whip (in motion)
2m:  ICOM IC-9700 at 100W, Diamond A144S10 10-element Yagi (stopped), Efactor
dual-band loop (in motion)
222:  Yaesu FT-736R, Mirage C2512G amplifier configured for approx. 75W max,
Directive Systems K1FO 10-element rover Yagi  (stopped), M² HO loop (in
motion)
432:  ICOM IC-9700 at 75W, Directive Systems K1FO 15-element rover Yagi
(stopped), Efactor dual-band loop (in motion)
902:  Yaesu FT-817ND IF radio, Down East Microwave transverter and 50W
amplifier, Directive Systems 19-element loop Yagi
1296:  ICOM IC-9700 at 10W, Directive Systems 25-element loop Yagi

QSOs by state (includes dupes):
AL 234
MS 106
TN  29

QSOs by grid:
Grid   50 144 222 420 902 1240 Tot Accum
EM54   43  28  13  14   4    4 106 106
EM55    7   9   3   5           24 130
EM63   14   5   6   5           30 160
EM64   75  38  19  17   3    4 156 316