[3830] NA Sprint CW K3KU LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NA Sprint CW K3KU LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2023 14:03:09 +0000
                    NA Sprint CW Contest - September

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 0:22

   80:  28     0:22
---------------------
Total:  28     Mults = 19  Total Score = 532

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

A season busy with non-ham-radio stuff.  I finished my Saturday night chores
about 0330Z, and I had a whole hour until I had to go out for another obligation
at 0430Z (or 0430Zzzzz, I might say).  I decided to treat myself to the last
half hour of Sprint.  I hooked up the antenna, turned on the radio and N1MM+,
set up the messages in N1MM+, clicked down to 80M, took a breath (I'm really not
prepared or this!), found a CQer, and hit F4.

Nothing but sidetone -- no RF output.  I spent several minutes trying to figure
out what was wrong.  Somehow the CAR on the TS-590SG had gotten set to zero.  I
bumped it up a little, and output was restored.

However, while troubleshooting the RF output problem, I noticed that my vintage
1976 homebrew keyer was making dahs, but no dits.  A little investigation there
revealed dirty contacts on the paddle.  A quick wipe with clean paper solved
that problem.

Those were the highlights of the contest.  I fumbled along with typical results.
 Except for lots of fast, loud responses from top op's in the first few minutes,
going was slower than I expected.  Operator clumsiness contributed to that.  I
have one QSO where I guessed the received number because I forgot to log it (out
of rhythm), and I think the last QSO will be deleted because it got logged at
0400Z.

Twenty-two minute of bewildered fun!  Thanks for the QSOs.