[3830] ARRL Sep VHF N0KIS Single Op-All Modes QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF N0KIS Single Op-All Modes QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 01:16:35 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2023

Call: N0KIS
Operator(s): N0KIS
Station: N0KIS

Class: Single Op-All Modes QRP
QTH: MO

    6:  36     19
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  36     19  Total Score = 684

There was a small band opening to Mexico, the Caribbean and South America
Saturday evening.  Then again on Sunday morning and evening.  I only had one
contact on SSB; none on CW.  FT8 was the mode of choice for this contest.  I
moved to SSB and CW for awhile whenever FT8 indicated positive signal levels.
It was my first time using FT8.  There was a bit of a learning curve with this
new-to-me mode.  That's the fun in this hobby.  There's always something to
learn.  And in this case, practice.  I had limited success with the IC-703+
running 10 watts into the ground-plane antenna at 30 feet.  All part of my
portable setup.  I wanted to test the current draw of the radio and laptop pc
during this contest.  It drained my 40 amp-hr LiFePO 4 battery about 5 hours
before the end of the contest.  I connected to the home AC and continued to the
end of the contest.  All in all, about 21 hours BIC.  This was not one of those
contest where I worked everyone I witnessed a decode on.  I was seeing decode
levels down to -22 dB.  I think all of my contacts were with decode levels
greater than -16 dB.  Some signals indicated decode signal strength of +28 dB
during the Sunday evening band opening.  Those were real easy to work with my
setup.  All I had to do was call CQ and wait a moment or two.  Very Fun!