[3830] ARRL Sep VHF NN6U/R Limited Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, john@nn6u.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Sep VHF NN6U/R Limited Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2023 06:49:03 +0000
                    ARRL September VHF Contest - 2023

Call: NN6U/R
Operator(s): NN6U
Station: NN6U

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: SCV

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  61     19  Total Score = 1,406

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Had a great time with this contest! My main goal was to use this Rover contest
to scout out locations for our upcoming mobile operation in the California QSO
Party, so I wasn't specifically optimizing for this VHF contest. Nonetheless, I
got a decent result for me and had a lot of fun.

The Good:
- Got more contacts than any of my previous ARRL VHF contests (but fewer mults,
so 2nd highest score). 6m wasn't getting the kind of distance like it was in
June, so I only worked a few adjacent grids.
- Earned my POTA Activator Six Pack award!
- Scouted several locations for CQP, including ruling one out and finding a new
one.
- Verified where my plans were over-ambitious. :-) I'm not going to try to make
it to Mendocino or Lake County in CQP.

The Bad:
- Lost my 100% streak for this year's Worked All State QSO Parties award. I
neglected ALQP until it only had half an hour left and couldn't manage to
contact 2 ALQP stations even using RHR (from a mobile phone browser in a parking
lot at the bottom of a mountain lol).

The Surprising:
- At one location in Marin County where I hadn't operated HF before, I wanted to
confirm HF propagation for CQP. So after working everyone I could for the VHF
contest, I got on 20m FT8 and there was an amazing polar opening. I got Kenya,
Asiatic and European Russia, and Ukraine, all within 15 minutes! I could have
worked more, but the park ranger came around to kick me out since it was after
sunset. That's 3 new entities towards my Mobile DXCC and Kenya is completely new
for me for DXCC.

Looking forward to CQP!