[3830] KsQP K0I/R(KI0I) Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] KsQP K0I/R(KI0I) Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 02:33:28 +0000
                    Kansas QSO Party - 2023

Call: K0I/R
Operator(s): KI0I
Station: K0I/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: KS COUNTIES
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5

   80:    56    12
   40:   476    74
   20:   464   254
   15:    46    26
   10:     2     2
    6:
----------------------------
Total:  1044   368      0  Mults = 47  Total Score = 181,896

Club: Kansas City Contest Club

Comments:

Rover this year , I got a late start after going to the Joplin MO hamfest. With
some pc startup trouble it was 1941z for first qso.
The bands played fairly well most of the time and really good in bursts. I hoped
for more action on 80m SAturday nite ,but I guess the noise was keeping folks on
40 and 20.
I chose to modify my sked by running 4 counties at my second sit as I wouldn`t
have much time left for the third spot. I don`t like doing 4 at a time as it`s
such a long exchange and some ops don`t get all the counties on cw and it`s a
mouth full on fone. regardless, I only dropped one county , BOURBON at the end
but there was coverage by others I know.
Many big signals and heavy pileups at times made a thrilling run again this
year. We have to love what we do to endure the pressure of what seems like 100
stations calling at once , we appreciate you guys` patience and courtesy as the
foxes weed through the hoards of hounds .
It`s always nice to get through a mobile/rover run with no major blowups , my
only loss was a milk crate I used to place my hamsticks (20 and 15m) on the mag
mount atop my truck. I drove off and left it on the side of a gravel road at the
 ANDERSON/FRANKLIN countyline. I didn`t miss it til I stopped again at
COFFEY/OSAGE . HIHI  Oh well , I hope some one puts it to good use !
The radio , laptop and antennas all played well , except a few accidental
touches of the laptop power button stopped things dead . luckily restart was
fast and the ops in qso at the time hadn`t left me .
Thank you all for the following as I changed locations as a ROVER.
Not as many DX this time as past years , but band condx determines that.
The radio trhis time an Icom 7300 wired to a HP Probook pc and no paddle for cw.

power from a pair of 150 amp hour SLA batteries fed thru a N8XJK booster. This
runs 100w all weekend no prob. Antennas - A TARHEEL 100HP with a solid 4` mast
and a homemade TOPHAT as described on the K0BG website ,very good info there on
everything mobile. On a triple magnet mount on top of the crew cab pickup was
two hamsticks , 20 and 15m fine tuned to the 034 of each band. It all worked FB!

Of course we can`t thank BoB W0BH enough for the excellent job and the hours he
puts in to make the KSQP come together and run like a well oiled machine .
73 all  I hope to be a part again next year.
Oh yeah , winning a dual band handheld at the Joplin hamfest was icing the the
cake of a great weekend !!!
Mark KI0I  aka K0I/r