[3830] WWDigi NR4O SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, nr4o@att.net
Subject: [3830] WWDigi NR4O SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2023 17:15:16 +0000
                    World Wide Digi DX Contest - 2023

Call: NR4O
Operator(s): NR4O
Station: NR4O

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NC - FM05

   80:   32    15
   40:  134    22
   20:  225    38
   15:  115    32
   10:   17    10
-------------------
Total:  533   117  Total Score = 123,201

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I wasn't expecting to operate in this one.  Travel plans got cancelled Friday.
So, I started preparing for the contest late in the evening.  I somehow screwed
up my previously working SO2R N1MM configuration with WSJT-X.  When opening the
second radio instance of WSTJ would not get a green square the N1MM interface
window, then cause N1MM to shutdown with an error. Not being able to solve the
issue in a reasonable amount of time, I decided I'd just operate with a single
instance.  Besides it was a bonus to even get to operate in this one.

Saturday morning started out well with a ton of activity on 20 and 15. It was
good to have so much more FT4 activity than in past contests.  Got a lot of
traction and good rates without running out of stations in the FT4 segments.
Eventually I just had to move to the FT8 segments to make sure I wasn't missing
key multipliers that were lagging others on the scoreboard.  It was hard to slow
down to half speed!!!  I jumped up to 10m when I saw some activity on the band
scope to pick up some mults.  Probably should have checked the band a few more
times periodically for additional mults.  But, the other bands kept me plenty
busy.

I really found the online scoreboard to be a good BIC motivator first keeping up
with Don W4BBT a local(NC) fellow PVRC contester.  Took a short break for a
lunch snack and then a 2 hour break for dinner and some fresh air to recharge.
During my break Don took advantage and closed the gap I built up.  In the
evening it was K5VIP and N1EK unknowingly creating my operating motivations to
match their mults.  My Q rates were fine.  But, my points per Q was too low.  It
wouldn't be until the last 4 hours of my op time that my points per Q began to
rise.  As the domestic stations began to go to sleep the EU and Pacific were
awake and working 3, 4 and 6 pointers really helped not to mention adding the
needed mults.  Highlight was a BY responding to one of my CQ's on 20m around 1
am local.  During that last 4 hours I just kept plugging away moving mostly
between the contest recommended FT4/FT8 segments with occasional checking of the
non-contest FT8 segments to add several mults.  I was moving between 80, 40, 20
and 15m and was missing the SO2R option.  I just simply ran out of gas at around
2:30am and falling asleep at the keyboard.  There were plenty of stations left
on the bands to work.

In the end it turned out to be a really great contest.  I had left the shack for
bed just a bit ahead of N1EK who clearly pulled the plug earlier than I did.  He
got up early and passed me by while I slept.  Thanks for the competitive
motivation Ed.

73,
Eric - NR4O