[3830] NAQP SSB K4HQK Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, jwfuller@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] NAQP SSB K4HQK Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2023 16:44:25 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, SSB - August

Call: K4HQK
Operator(s): K4HQK
Station: K4HQK

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Alexandria, VA
Operating Time (hrs): 4:46

   80:   37    19
   40:   69    24
   20:   19    13
   15:    4     1
Total:  129    57  Total Score = 7,353

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

With limited antenna power (80m, 40m dipoles tangled in tree limbs thanks to
squirrels lunching on the guy rope, and a high SWR vertical for 20m and above),
my participation was all S&P, less than five hours just for fun squeezed
between other obligations.

That said, I had hoped the solar cycle would be kind to all of us but it
certainly didn’t seem like it. The 80m band was perfectly fine—no QRN,
either—and so was 40m, although limited at my station to the Midwest and East
Coast. The 20m band had fair activity, 15m had almost none but four California
stations I worked, and poor 10m was just a hiss.

Unlike previous NAQPs, I heard and worked only three Canadians (ON, QC, NS),
nothing at all from the Caribbean, and very few from out West (no NM, WA, OR,
ID, UT, MT, WY, CO, NM, and certainly not HI and AK). Total states in the log:
Only 33. Not only that, I never heard CQing from VT, NH, MA or RI! Where was
everybody? Of the few Canadians I heard, most were operating S&P.
Frustrating. For now I have to blame all this on my antennas unless I hear
differently from participants. And it would have helped if I’d operated longer
than I did.

As always, however, it was a pleasure to be greeted on air by friends from PVRC
and the CW Operators Club, revealing they actually have voices! They’re the
main reason this CW guy jumps into NAQP SSB.

John Fuller
K4HQK
Alexandria, Virginia