[3830] NAQP RTTY WU6X Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP RTTY WU6X Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2023 17:44:31 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: WU6X
Operator(s): WU6X
Station: WU6X

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: CA
Operating Time (hrs): 9.75

   40:   67    28
   20:   56    27
   15:    3     3
Total:  126    58  Total Score = 7,308

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Well, I went into this event with high-hopes, as I love RTTY. A new radio and
new software configuration cost me the first 1/2 hour, but action was minimal
anyway.

Then, I looked at the propagation forecast in VOACAP, given my power, antennas
and location. Yikes! It looked like 20m was going to be the ONLY band to use for
the first 6 hours, with 40m coming in later. Early-on, I ran and on 20m, calling
CQ over a dozen times before any action, at times. I really missed my 2-el QUAD
or ANY gain antenna. However, I did manage to make a few DX contacts, Japan
(20M) and Puerto Rico (x2 on 40M), so that was encouraging. The wire ant was
working!

The new Yaesu FT-710 ran perfectly at 100w, never getting even warm. And N7YG
Digital Engine interfaced well to both the radio and N3FJP NAQP Contest
Software, after finally getting all the variables sorted. Of course, the
variables are now duly recorded to a file for the future! Hi! Email me if you
want a copy.

Tnx for the Q's and for a great event. Rig: Yaesu FT-710 @100w to OCF 80m
dipole, up a tree on the long side ... I know, pathetic, but you do what you
have to when living in a controlled space environment. 73, Dennis - WU6X