[3830] IARU OL5Y SOABMixed LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ol5y@mastrant.com
Subject: [3830] IARU OL5Y SOABMixed LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2023 20:16:15 +0000
                    IARU HF World Championship - 2023

Call: OL5Y
Operator(s): OL5Y
Station: OL5Y

Class: SOABMixed LP
QTH: BKO
Operating Time (hrs): 23
OpMode: SO2R

  160:    16     3      3       12
   80:    75    10      8       20
   40:   175    56     14       29
   20:   561    34     27       29
   15:   409   121     31       31
   10:    71    14     15       15
-------------------------------------
Total:  1307   238     98      136  Total Score = 1,248,858

Club: Czech Contest Club

Comments:

After five years, this my favourite contest was enriched by WRTC. My result is a
bit influenced by trying to do as many WRTC stations as possible - even knowing
that they are only worth 1 point. On the other hand, it added theoretically
about 600 opportunities for quick QSOs :-) For the same reason I decided to go
the MIX category and a few days before the contest I finished a simple inv-V for
the SSB part of 80m. Although I prepared quite well, 15 minutes before the start
I found out that the second radio (IC756) was not transmitting. Everything
seemed fine (switching, side tone, ...), just no power was coming out (that's
why I didn't figure it out earlier either). I hastily replaced it with a spare
TRX and only lost a few minutes - but as I found out, the spare TRX (same type)
was only putting out about 20 W :-( So I had a harder time calling and had to
adjust my other strategy regarding CQ. Fortunately swapping radios (Alt-F6) is
easy enough in N1MM+. Thankfully, this was the end of the technical problems and
I was happy to dedicate the next time loss of about 1 hour to my XYL Jana
OK3FLY, who also wanted to make some QSOs with the best on the special occasion
of WRTC :-)
The contest was great fun, despite the bad CONDX on 10m and only few stations on
160m. 15m was great, and the incredible 20m where US stations called me until
sunrise. Unexpectedly I managed decent pile-ups on SSB (15m), but I still feel
that in my case the combination MIX (vs CW only) has a rather negative effect on
the overall result (loss of concentration, many futile calls, ...).
Thank you all for calling me or answering my call!
73! Martin, OL5Y

Radios: SunSDR MB1 and IC-756 (1st version)
Accessories: microHAM ARCO, MK2R+, Station masters, Stack masters, switches...
Antennas:
160: Inv. V @ 19m (63 ft.)
80: Inv. V @ 19m
40: 3-el Yagi (AD-3446) @ 25m (82 ft.) + 2-el Moxon (40MA2) @ 35m (115 ft.)