[3830] ARRL June VHF K0AXX/R Unlimited Rover HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k0axx@k0axx.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K0AXX/R Unlimited Rover HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2023 14:37:23 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2023

Call: K0AXX/R
Operator(s): K0AXX NV5E
Station: K0AXX/R

Class: Unlimited Rover HP
QTH: STX

    6:  303   129
    2:   22    12
  222:    1     1
  432:   16     9
  903:    1     1
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  343   161  Total Score = 57,960

Our rover mobile managed to avoid arrest, not catch fire and only suffer one
flat tire.  So by that standard, WE WON!  Its sort of like golf, if you can find
the ball after you hit it, you are THE winner!

We started off on a well intended calm and relaxing road trip that was supposed
to be full of sarcasm, lame jokes and radio nerdery, but turned out to be an
adventure that found us surrounded by cops, fire trucks and ambulances,
swallowed by a storm that relieved half of southeast Texas residents of their
precious air conditioning and confirmed that a jack is a critical component to
your travel gear.  Seriously, don't leave your jack at the shack.  Or the jack
handle.  Or the pretzels.

I can tell you this, I saw precisely none of the country side.  My head was
buried in that radio display and laptop screen the entire time, except for the
early morning hours when all you lame operators were napping and not making
contact with us, because I was up.  Looking for your signal.  Only to be left
out in the dark and cold, all alone with.....nevermind.  I need counseling.

It was a grind in the truest of senses.  We fought with every antenna element
and inch of coax had for every contact we made.  Some came easy, some not so
much.  Some by voice, a few by dits and dahs, but most by that annoying high
pitch screech of ft8.  It really was hard work and we learned a lot and met a
few other weirdos along the way.  So, would I recommend to others to give roving
a try?  Yes.  But only if you're not weak or timid or afraid of hemorrhoids.
This, my friends, is how strong operators compete.  Good luck.  73. (NV5E)

PS from K0AXX- The experience was as described above. EXACTLY. I, however, did
see a bit of the countryside...when I wasn't hanging my head out of the window
watching the massive stack of antennas trailing my Yukon(pics on request).
My last rove was in 2014 and my antennas exploded at 75 mph. we kept speeds down
to a safe 60 this year. I truly enjoyed the rove. I wish we had contacted more
rovers, specifically those in adjacent grids. We activated EL39,EL29, EM20,
EM10, EM11, EM21, EM22, EM32, EM31....with the first 7 on Sat...during that
crazy storm....while holding our heads out windows, watching for flying
antennas. Best contact was all voice contacts(I am partial). 73 de K0AXX