[3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB Unassisted QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB Unassisted QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 May 2023 21:00:35 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
Class Overlay: Unassisted
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 24.4

  160:    0

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials

Condx were quite good, but seemed to fade during the day here on Sunday. At 83
yrs old, I just did not have the fire to give this contest an all out effort. So
I found myself taking off for supper with my wife while watching the news or
some play off game and taking breaks during the day. But I still got in 24.4 hrs
of op time.

By far the most amazing QSO I had in this contest was when N6BHX answered my CQ
on 80 Meters. CQing on 80 is a total exercise in futility with my station, and I
don't think I have ever done it before in 30 years of contesting. But there was
not a single signal on the band so for some reason I decided to call CQ. After a
minute or so I heard his signal!! I almost fell out of the op chair. I have a
lot of noise on 80 here, but James was very patient stuck with me until I dug
out his call and number. Thank you for a real contest thrill, James!

I had no Qs on 160 despite many trips there over both nights with my feeble
antenna. You would think that there would be some contestor in San Diego that
would put some time in on 160!

I got 50 DXCC countries and 21 Zones, pretty average at this time of the cycle.
I had one "5 band" station: NH7T. In fact, I had them on 5 bands by
06:03 on the first day.  They were VERY active and had very strong sigs here.

Well, that's it for this contest season. See you in the CQ WWDX RTTY in Sept.
Until then, maybe I'll try again on my quest to get a decent 160 antenna on my
small lot!   73, Bill  W6QU - W8QZA qrp