[3830] CPQP K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, artboyars@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CPQP K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 14 May 2023 14:08:20 +0000
                    Canadian Prairies QSO Party - 2023

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): !:33

   40:   5      3        5         3
   20:   2               2
Total:   7      3        7         3  Total Score = 100

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

We wanted to paint the basement room in which I have my "shack".  To
get to the walls we had to move and shuffle some pieces of storage furniture and
the desk on which my rig sits.  So, I had to disassemble the rig.  Even though I
am QRV for only the last 90 minutes of CPQP, I timed the painting so that I
could get the rig back together -- about 20 power cords and patch cables -- for
the 'Test.  Almost.  The rig still has some quirks, but it was good enough to
for the low-rate CPQP.

"Low rate"?  I started at 0127Z.  15M dead.  20M CW had a weak VA6RCN
(Nice to see you again!) and nothing else.  Nothing on 20M SSB.  Down to 40M CW,
where I found a moderately loud VE4GV steaming along (Hi, Rob. Go RSM!) and a
VE5.  Pop back up to 20M CW to find another VE5 at 0146Z.  Four QSOs in 20
minutes of furious S&P and occasional fruitless CQing to try waking up the
bands.

And so on.  The other six QSOs were on 40M, CW and SSB.  The only two-bander was
VA6RCN.  Last QSO was VE4EA on 40M SSB at 0258Z.

I heard but could not get VA4JP on 40M CW. On 40M SSB I heard (I think VE6TL)
send a report to VA6RCN, but neither of them was loud enough to hear me.  At one
point I was competing with OM2VL for the attention of a 40M CW CQer; I think
neither of I succeeded.

At some points the only thing that kept me in the chair was realizing that I had
only 90 minutes to endure.  And, indeed, it was a fun 90 minutes and 10 QSOs.
My thanks to the organizers and to the Canadian Prairies participants.  CU next
year (and in SS and NAQP and other "domestic" 'Tests).