[3830] FlQP K4OJ(@NX4N) M/M MobileCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, cqdenx4n@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] FlQP K4OJ(@NX4N) M/M MobileCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 03 May 2023 02:48:24 +0000
                    Florida QSO Party - 2023

Call: K4OJ
Operator(s): K0LUZ N4KM NK4O NX4N
Station: NX4N

Class: M/M MobileCW LP
QTH: FL

   10:    85
--------------------
Total:  4725    0  CW Mults = 71  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 1,341,332

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Hi FQP Fans-The 9th running of the K4OJ Multi-Multi-Mobile was both a Terrific
and Terrifying time.Terrific - Great modified routes, no big traffic delays,
and a really top notch performance by each of our operators with very solid
station performance made for a great time. We stuffed 3 stations on 4 bands
into my 2017 Toyota Sequoia - personal hygiene is mandatory!  Four Hustlers 48
inches apart on a square aluminum plate with ground straps soldered to the
roof.We were looking to beat our old record from 2015 and didn't quite get
there. But we got close and believe there is much upside as we continue to
optimize everything.I am convinced we can eventually break this record and
surpass 5000+ QSO's after log checking as well.  Better conditions and wx are
the key.  We also have more tweaking on our routes and a revisit of solutions
to our old nemesis Radio Frequency Interface (RFI).
Terrifying -
Mega Rain, Lightning, Tornado Watches and Warnings for about half the contest
period. More on this later...
Tnx to everyone for the QSO's!  Our TOP100 Most Worked "Road
Buddies" who worked us 13 or more times is at the bottom.  We hope you'll
join our Road Buddies list next year for our 10tn anniversary of this
madness...
First, the numbers:K4OJ/m - 2023 FQP
FINAL SCORE TOTAL: Band     QSOs     Pts  Mul  Pt/Q
     7     709    2828    9   4.0
    14    2632   10528   41   4.0
    21    1299    5196   20   4.0
    28      85     340    1   4.0
 Total    4725   18892   71   4.0
Score: 1,341,332
1 Mult = 66.5 Q'sMax Rates:20m -  Red, K0LUZ:K3 @ 100W, Hustler AntennaQSO
Parties (US and Canada) - 2023-04-29 1600Z to 2023-04-30 2159Z - 2664 QSOs
K4OJ Max Rates:
2023-04-29 1733Z - 5.0 per minute  (1 minute(s)), 300 per hour by  K0LUZ
2023-04-30 1847Z - 4.1 per minute  (10 minute(s)), 246 per hour by K0LUZ
2023-04-30 1936Z - 3.1 per minute  (60 minute(s)), 185 per hour by K0LUZ

40m & 10m -  Kevin, N4KM:K3@ 100W, Hustler AntennasQSO Parties (US and
Canada) - 2023-04-29 1600Z to 2023-04-30 2159Z - 809 QSOs  K4OJ Max Rates::
2023-04-30 0108Z - 5.0 per minute  (1 minute(s)), 300 per hour by  N4KM
2023-04-30 0134Z - 3.1 per minute  (10 minute(s)), 186 per hour by  N4KM
2023-04-30 0159Z - 2.5 per minute  (60 minute(s)), 147 per hour by  N4KM

15m -  AJ, NK4O (last 40 minutes pinch hit Op Chris, NX4N):KX3 and KPA500
combo @ 100W, Hustler AntennaQSO Parties (US and Canada) - 2023-04-29 1600Z to
2023-04-30 2159Z - 1319 QSOs  K4OJ Max Rates:
2023-04-29 1821Z - 6.0 per minute  (1 minute(s)), 360 per hour by NK4O
2023-04-30 1602Z - 3.6 per minute  (10 minute(s)), 216 per hour
by NK4O  2023-04-30 1905Z - 2.6 per minute  (60 minute(s)), 156 per hour
by NK4O

4725Q's in 20 hours was a thrill - the K4OJ/m 'Fun and Run' continues!
Please keep in mind that we have interstation interference anywhere from S2 to
S9 depending on the situation -  each station suffers from it.  Every station
that is added to the vehicle has an RFI multiplier effect.  Ex:  40m gets into
15m at S3-4; 20m gets into 15m at S2.  But when *both* 40m and 20m are
transmitting, the 15m RFI jumps to S6!  Perhaps one time I will record such
interference to let you hear it.  You may have already experienced something
similar at Field Days past.
The real remedy is Good Ops-Kevin, Red and AJ are VFB operators and real team
players to endure such RFI and *still* make so many contacts.
Multi-Multi-mobile is not for the faint of heart!  Congratulations
guys!  We'll keep working on making it quieter so we have less repeats to
request and hear those weaker layers of signals...In the meanwhile, BIG
thanks to our out-of-state friends who put up with our frequent requests to
repeat calls/exchanges.
SINGING IN THE RAIN:After last year's literal 'rain' event inside the cabin,
additional layers of waterproof taping (3 total) were installed on the rear
window.  This window is opened just a smidge to allow the coax to enter the
cabin.  But I was still worried water leaks might return, putting all our
equipment at risk.  The smugly satisfied station engineer had applied enough
tape that the Hoover Dam couldn't break through the seal.  AJ NK4O came up
from his home in Homestead Saturday afternoon so we could meet Red and Kevin 10m
Saturday in Orlando.  AJ looked skeptically at my taping contraption and said,
"I'm from Missouri (Missoura?) - so Show Me.
He had the brilliant idea to use a garden hose pointed up as a sprinkler
to test the seal.  We did so and found a small amount of water in the cabin-
and that was enough!  We didn't know what the weather would bring - the FQP
Almanac said it would be FB all across the state - could it perhaps be wrong?
hihiHow could that leak be happening with three - three! - layers of waterproof
tape inside and out?  Time to call in the NK4O detective agency again to
investigate, so...
AJ further examined the outside chassis and observed that there was a small but
visible gap between the rear spoiler and the hatchback; the joint wasn't sealed
and water was seeping past the joint and through to the weather sealing tape,
which would just collect the seepage until it overflowed (i.e. - raining in the
cabin).  AHA!Now we knew we had to stop the leak in that spoiler/hatchback gap
or no amount of taping would work.  We stripped off all the old mega-taping
(see photo "Ball O' Murphy") and applied some new tape to the gap.
After that,  further simulated rain testing showed the extra gap taping worked;
we now had a bonafide setup with no water leakage....or did we?PHOTO:  BALL O'
MURPHY (tape):

WANNA PLAY TWISTER?:Saturday morning we had a beautiful sunrise and left at
6:45am to meet with Red and Kevin.  Nice wx on the way - such a peaceful
drive!  We arrived right on time and Kevin and Red showed up a couple of
minutes later.  After exchanging greetings and stowing their gear and overnight
bags, we got busy getting them settled in and familiarized with their
stations.  Some quick bio-breaks and we left for FQP - our starting point was a
bit over an hour away and we left at 10:55 to get there by noon.  On the way, a
light rain began...but no big deal, right?
We didn't quite get to our CIT starting point so we started in SUM at the
bell.  CQ FQP de K4OJ/sum!!  Everyone was sending and receiving furiously and
the wonderful masses of friends outside the state were ready.  The light rain
became a medium steady drumbeat.We knew we were one of only two-three mobiles to
visit GIL, DIX and LAF so we agreed to skip at least one more populated county
and give extra time for the Sweep-Seekers.  And that is what we did - we put
these counties on the air simultaneously on 40m, 20m, and 15m.  I feel a twinge
of guilt reading on 3830 that one Op who missed GIL for the sweep (sorry).
Conditions for us were not really that good - 40m was weak, no RBN's on 20m and
15m for the first two hour+ and hard to make QSO's - really a bummer.  And both
20m and 15m had deep, deep QSB swings that would come again to a lesser degree
the next day.  Keep in mind that in our RFI environment we shine when signals
are strong and suffer when signals are weak; it is what it is.But we were making
good progress on our route...and the rain just kept getting harder.  Kinda like
the frog in the pot taking a 'bath' while the water warms :-)Red was working
stations so fast that at one point he shouted out, "Is it possible to have
carpal tunnel syndrome at six hours?" Chuckles from all...
When we stopped in CLA we took turns operating (BTW pit stops are my chance to
operate all three stations- yay!) and hitting the head.  While inside the
proprietor had a funny look on his face and said that a Tornado Watch had just
been issued - TIME TO GO!Running back to the car as the winds and rain and
lightning started to increase - we got outta there and hit the gas.  No Tornado
Watch was gonna catch the OJ-mobile!
Until it did. Wind and rain whipped all around us.We finally reached I-95 and
after viewing on our cellphones the truly immense, intense storm that covered
all of north and central FL and heading East we agreed that we should skip
well-represented SEM/ORA/OSC and keep pushing quickly south on I-95 until we got
past the danger area.EXERCISE for Out-of-State friends:  Go to Google Maps -
find Jacksonville, then find Melbourne.  And just stare at that huge swatch
that had horrible weather.  During our drive between those points, 175+ miles,
3.5+ hours (and 2/3 of our way home to Palm Beach) we had incredibly ferocious
rain, lightning and wind.  Just like last year.  WAH!During that entire time
on I-95 each Emergency Info Board flashed "Tornado Watch in this
area".  Continuously.  For 4 hours.Meanwhile our operators still made FB
runs through all that wx and noise.  Finally after Melbourne the weather
started to ease but not much.  We learned the next morning there was a tornado
that hit a home in Palm Beach Gardens, about half an hour north of my home.
We turned off the Turnpike at Lake Worth (home!) and that's when Red
deadpanned, "Is there something wrong with your car ? I’m not bouncing
around enough!"The tired team finally pulled in to find - no leaks in
the cabin!  We cleaned up the gear for the night and had a well-deserved
spaghetti and meatball dinner with salad and key lime pie for dessert.  It was
great to shoot the breeze too.  Now off to bed...
Our team woke up between 5 and 6am; we again had to leave an hour early to get
to our starting point in MRT.  AJ reported there were tornado watches still in
effect across much of the state, especially south.  Of course you can guess
which direction our route would take us Sunday...After coffee and breakfast, we
piled into the SUV to give it another go against Murphy and mother nature,
heading for our starting point in MRT/OKE.  The skies looked even darker than
yesterday, very foreboding...and as we drove up Martin highway toward HWY 70 it
kept getting worse.  Rain was just pouding our vehicle - would our leak
proofing work against this onslaught?THEN - all of a sudden all four of our cell
phones screamed a loud emergency alert along with a text of "TORNADO
WARNING" meaning a tornado had touched down nearby - yikes!  All I'm
thinking is, "are we the Andrea Gail, Edmund Fitzgerald or the SS
Minnow"?  Which one will we be...I told the crew that any one of us can
call it off and we'll turn around to go home but it was unanimous that we  keep
going.   We started joking how 40m sucked and that Kevin wanted to get our
antennas higher and that we may just have an option to do so!  Fortunately, all
three Ops grew up in big tornado areas (IL, IA, MO) so we were scanning the sky
for telltale signs and looking for green sky and hail (sure signs of a twister
close by).Then the heavens just opened up and we were driving through the most
vicious rain, wind and lighting of the weekend for the next 20 minutes.
Finally it subsided just a bit and it kept going that way - we were through
it!  Our ride down GLA, HEN, PAL, BRO and DAD saw the wx getting better and
better.  The rain quit on the way to MON and we stopped there and worked
massive pile ups.  The water at the Tri-County line was up to a foot deep so
the driver had to park carefully to protect the gennie and car engines and not
get stuck in mud.
By the time we got to Naples the sky looked much better and not long after that
a beautiful blue sky broke out saying 'you guys made it!'.  We just rode the
pile ups in each county and had a huge day with much better conditions.  AJ on
the 15m station was passing folks up to 10m and slowly Kevin started working
them as the band opened.  We were delighted to see 10m alive, even just a
bit.  Red of course was hopping on 20m - tnx to all who called us on all
bands.
We're near the end of our tale.  But before we go we want to congratulate all
of our fellow Mobiles and Expedition teams - you guys are truly inspirational to
activate all those counties and work the pile ups so well under tough wx and
cdx.  Multiple mobile teams adjusted their routes to ensure rare counties were
made available.  Well done by all!
Two Photos we want to share:The first photo shows legacy keys from both K4OJ
(sk-orange) and WB4OMM (recent SK-blue).  NK4O bought Steve's key about 6
weeks ago before any news of Steve's illness and passing.  Steve mentioned
nothing to AJ.We thought it fitting to add the OMM key to the OJ key that we
always take on our trip.  Jim and Steve, in your honor/memory these paddles are
still belting out many FQP QSOs. RIP fellas!
That about wraps it up on this end - hope you enjoyed the joys and trials of our
exciting journey.  We offer you a final photo of our adventure starting at
dawn on Saturday - who knew how it would go? And now you know...the rest of the
story.

Tnx as always to our FQP leaders who guide and support me (and sometimes reel me
back in a bit!):a)  FCG past president and VP FQP Dan K1TO, our
literally World-class rules maker and judge/referee/log checker.  And he's
such a great guy!b)  FCG president Chris W4WF, master FQP Write up creator -
the write ups are top-notch.  We all really appreciate your leadership
Chris.And I want to give sincere thanks to our FQP/FCG webmaster Jeff KU8E;
you do wonders for our sites Jeff.

Hearty thanks also to Bob K0RC and Chuck NO5W for their super-duper county
tracking tools - these are indispensable for working the sweeps, planning routes
and more.  Bob/Chuck - you guys are the best!  Big thumbs up also to Chip N3IW
for developing the FQP spotting website.  Thank you all for your major
support.

Huge kudos to our terrific Fixed and 1x1 Spelling Bee partners - you all are
the foundation of our way-cool QSO Party - thank you for standing strong on
all the bands representing our Sunshine State.A big salute as well to
our talented road warriors, many of whom changed their routes to ensure VFB
county coverage - great teamwork folks!  They do an amazing job of getting the
cobwebs off antennas, rigs, pc's, power plants and performing station(s),
vehicle and routing set up just to make the first contact.  I sincerely am in
awe of your enthusiasm for hitting the road and am proud to call you fellow FQP
mobiler/expeditioner.  Please come back next year and let's bring some new
Roadie recruits along for the fun!
Finally - Our biggest, loudest applause is for all of you out-of-state
operators who are the real heros. Whether you make a half dozen or several
hundred QSO's, your enthusiastic participation and support help make the FQP fun
for all.  We can throw the party, but it is you that keeps coming back every
year -Thank you, thank you, thank you!
See you in FQP 2024!

FQP - So Bright You Gotta Wear Shades!

vy 73/OJ,Chris, NX4N - K4OJ MM/m Team Lead------------------------TOP100 Most
Worked Stations: Call Tot K9CT 65 K7SV 62 OM2VL 60 W5TM 57 N7IR 55 N8II 49 K3WW
48 NS2N 48 K9CW 45 KM5G 44 VE3YT 43 W2TB 43 KA6BIM 41 K3WJV 39 K4FT 38 K0RC 37
W9RE 37 K9NW 36 W4NZ 35 WA3HAE 35 K4QS 34 N1SOH 34 VE3NNT 34 N4HB 33 VE5MX 33
WB9HFK 33 W1TO 32 W2LC 32 W8MJ 32 AA7V 31 N2RC 31 VE3KZ 31 K4RUM 30 W8PI 30 N0QQ
27 NM2A 27 VE3RZ 27 W3MA 27 WA5SOG 27 NA1NA 26 NO5W 26 WA6KHK 26 WB2WPM 26 AA0AW
25 W1QK 24 K4AMC 23 N2MM 23 N6NT 23 WT9Q 23 VE3MV 22 WA1FCN 22 WA5POK 22 WJ9B 22
K2QO 21 N5AU 21 W8WVU 21 WA0MHJ 21 K5CM 20 K3IE 19 N5KW 19 W1FJ 19 W9ILY 19 WA8Y
19 K9UIY 18 N9TF 18 W1END 18 W8FJ 18 AA4DD 17 K0EA 17 K0TC 17 K2NV 17 K2WK 17
N8CC 17 VE9ML 17 WK4U 17 WN4AFP 17 K0VBU 16 K1GQ 16 K1JB 16 K4BSK 16 KD8FS 16
N2MF 16 VE3TM 16 W1EQ 16 K4RO 15 NW0M 15 NZ1U 15 VE3TW 15 VE3VN 15 W1WEF 15
WA1UJU 15 K2QB 14 K5GQ 14 N3RD 14 N4DW 14 VE7ZO 14 K1EBY 13 K7RL 13 N6MA 13
VE3PJ 13