[3830] FlQP K4I(@K5KG) M/MMixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, giwagner@k5kg.com
Subject: [3830] FlQP K4I(@K5KG) M/MMixed HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 01 May 2023 16:47:36 +0000
                    Florida QSO Party - 2023

Call: K4I
Operator(s): K5KG K4EU K4NMR
Station: K5KG

Class: M/MMixed HP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 16:56

   40:   260     42
   20:   555    767
   15:   355    430
   10:    28     49
--------------------
Total:  1198   1288  CW Mults = 83  Ph Mults = 83  Total Score = 610,714

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

FQP 2023 SOAPBOX K4I

EQUIPMENT:
RUN1: Elecraft K4D, KPA1500, Bandpasser II BPF, Winkeyer
RUN2: Elecraft K3, KPA/KAT 500, Bandpasser II BPF, Winkey Mini
N1MM+ Logger
GHE RT21 rotor controller, Orion 2800 rotor
Triband yagi at 60’
HP Triplexer and BP filters
2el 40m yagi at 75’

GH Everywhere (GH Engr software) for rotor control on RUN2. This was set up
(with the help of W4LT) prior to the contest and was working just fine. However,
late in the contest it failed and was ignored until after the contest.
During set up of the stations, a K3 failed to transmit and was sent to the
boneyard for later fixing. A spare K3 became the RUN2 radio. No other equipment
problems during the contest, except in the last 15 minutes, when the KPA500
failed on 40m. I worked the last few minutes on RUN2 at 100w to finish the
contest.

We had a good start in the FQP on Saturday. All was going well until later in
the day when storm systems moved in from the Gulf of Mexico. These storms forced
us to shut down twice due to lightning and heavy winds and rain.  These
shutdowns cost us 2 hours of off time!  We had another 33-minute shut down on
Sunday, but that was just for a needed break in the action.  In total, N1MM+ has
our total time as 16:56 hrs. Saturday ops were Steve, K4EU and George, K5KG.
Sunday ops were Tom, K4NMR and K5KG.

Observations:

FQP activity was phenomenal!  When the pileups were heavy, they were very heavy.
Since we were a 1x1 “spelling bee” station, we tried to cover CW and SSB as
equally as possible.  In the end, we had 90 more Q’s on SSB than on CW. SSB
– 1288, CW – 1198. During the operation, we paid little attention to being
on one mode or the other, so the difference of 90 Q’s on SSB over CW, was
quite by chance.  I do, however, want to credit K4NMR with nailing a SSB opening
on 10m in which he worked 49, mostly west coast stations late in the day.

I have two areas of concern. First, is about the occasional SSB stations with
poor audio.  By poor, I mean ones that have poor audio equalization; typically,
with too much bass response, thereby making it difficult to understand what they
are saying.  Couple this with heavy QRM and/or a weak signal, copy becomes a
struggle. The other audio problem is distorted audio. This can be caused by
mal-adjusted MIC gain or too much Compression. Many times, I would stop to talk
to the operator, and suggest he lower the MIC gain or adjust his compression.
Usually, this will clear up the problem and, happily, get a positive response
from the op.

The other area of concern is CW stations calling “dead zero beat” on
station’s frequency in heavy pile ups. Having several zero beat callers in a
pile makes it difficult to copy any one of them unless, of course one is much
louder than the others. The cure for this is to always call a few hundred HZ off
zero beat, up or down.

Overall, this FQP was one of the best.  A big thanks to Dan, K1TO for his
efforts in organizing the FQP and presenting the ever-important Rules, and
Chris, NX4N for his exuberant Cheerleading to get us all involved! The FQP
mobile ops who suffered through some of the worst wx that we have ever had, so
kudos for their efforts.  The 12 1x1 spelling bee stations are to be thanked for
their willingness to volunteer their stations for their efforts in bringing more
activity to the party. And lastly, thanks to the single op, Florida stations,
the participating the US and VE stations, and the ever-present DX stations who
enjoy in the FQP year after year.  We love all you all you guys and gals!!!

OJ, George, K5KG / K4I