[3830] 432SprngSprnt VE3CRU/R Rover QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, VE3CRU@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] 432SprngSprnt VE3CRU/R Rover QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2023 19:18:45 +0000
                    432 MHz Spring Sprint - 2023

Call: VE3CRU/R
Operator(s): VE3CRU
Station: VE3CRU/R

Class: Rover QRP
QTH: FN04/FN03
Operating Time (hrs): 1.0

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

At 5 pm Wednesday I realized the Sprint would soon be on and decided to have a
listen on a hilltop.  Scrambled to find enough adapters to connect the 817
already
hooked up in the vehicle with the WA5VJB Cheap Yagi 11 elmts to be hand held.

I had 30 minutes to set up at old faithful FN04na elevation 1100 fasl.  The time
was 7, and 3 minutes after the booming voice of Peter VA3ELE running as VE3MIS
came booming through the speaker.  Not sure if the817 was transmitting, I keyed
up
on SSB and Peter, very surprised to hear me back on the air promptly worked me.
I was not sure of my power, but forgot the 817 power bars showed only 1 bar.
Yes,
still set to 500 mw to drive the transverters.  I only wanted 1 call in my log
and knew Peter would be there for FN03.  Heard others including Wayne N2WK
booming in while aimed to FN25 and VE2XX on cw .097.5 approx.  American dx!

Headed to FN03mx to wait for Peter, now on 432.128.  20 minutes later, boom
there he was, running a kw.  Worked him and headed home as I am not to be
driving after dark, made it in time.

Today I hooked a Bird 25W slug in line, and noted the power was less than 400
mw.  The 817 said 13.0 volts with the engine idling and hot.

I will hook up the HP431 soon and test for precise power, after remembering to
put a 30 dB attenuator in line to use the 1W scale for starters.

The fun continues.  Thanks to the sponsors,and thanks to all on the CCO team for
engaging and adding to the fun.

73,

Bill   VE3CRU ...../R again ...watch for updates