[3830] 432SprngSprnt K1WHS Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k1whs@metrocast.net
Subject: [3830] 432SprngSprnt K1WHS Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2023 14:56:09 +0000
                    432 MHz Spring Sprint - 2023

Call: K1WHS
Operator(s): K1WHS
Station: K1WHS

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN43mj

I was a bit surprised at how much activity there was on FT8. I was not ready for
that. This was my first Spring Sprint since 2014!  The wx was pretty good as it
stopped raining, but one of my 432 antennas had water in it somewhere and had a
2:1 SWR. Not good, so I did not use it and stuck with my quad yagis (4 X 25 el.)
Very surprising to see all the activity around the Toronto area. I worked a few
out there,and missed a bunch too, but Toronto seems to be a hotbed of activity!
I tried a few skeds that did not work, but had some luck with others. I struck
out with NG3W in FN01. VE3ZV in EN92 was loud here at about 470 miles. Hard to
believe he was running 80 watts. I tried and tried with K3SK at 570 miles with
no luck on Q65, CW, or FT8. N1PRW gets the award for most dedication. I heard
him all night whenever I was on FT8. He was CQing to beat the band, but ended up
with but one QSO from FN42. That is perseverance!!  He deserves an award for
dedication! At an early point in the evening, I saw that the amplifier was
delivering about 20 watts rather than the normal huge pile-o-watts. The meter
pointer was barely wiggling! The amp meter readings looked good, so I imagined
all sorts of failures that might show those symptoms. I wasted a lot of time
(This was right in the middle of a VE3DS sked) I didn't want to destroy the amp,
so spent plenty of time diagnosing possible trouble spots. I thought my 432
Sprint was finished! Imagine my surprise when a different Bird slug solved the
problem.   For that I should sit in the corner facing the wall. Wearing a
pointed hat would be a good touch too.
Totals per mode: CW 12, SSB 11, FT8 16, MSK144 0, Q65 0. I did not try SSTV or
spark. I need to fix my 432 antenna now. All that rain created another project
for me. Just what I needed! Comparing scores with last Fall, I had more contacts
and about the same # of grids. Activity was good, but conditions were a tad
oderiferous. I think I didn't miss much among those who were workable, but the
depressed conditions severely reduced my range of coverage. There were no
surprising contacts. (OK VE3ZV was LOUD. Thanks Stephen)  AND Thanks to all who
got on and stirred the pot.