[3830] 222SprngSprnt NV4B/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kt4xa@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] 222SprngSprnt NV4B/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2023 18:19:15 +0000
                    222 MHz Spring Sprint - 2023

Call: NV4B/R
Operator(s): NV4B
Station: NV4B/R

Class: Rover LP
QTH: AL

I decided to stay closer to home for this rove and operate from my usual spots
around the EM64/54/55/65 corner.  Due to the Tennessee River running near the
corner and a lack of suitable operating locations near the actual grid corner,
this results in about an 80-mile route to hit all four grids.

I set up on Colbert Mountain in EM64dq to start.  I operated from there until it
got too dark to continue around 0045Z.  This stop yielded seven FT8 QSOs and two
nice analog QSOs, a CW QSO with W4DEX in EM95, and an SSB QSO with KG4WLX in
EM86.

I made three FT8 QSOs in motion from EM54, then made a quick stop on Woodall
Mountain (EM54vs) with the mobile loop, where I was able to work AJ6T (EM66)
and, surprisingly, W5EME (EM32), with whom I had struggled to complete a QSO on
the 10-element beam from Colbert Heights.

I then went to my usual hilltop in EM55va, and surprisingly, worked both W5EME
and AA4ZZ (EM96) with the mobile loop from there, plus a CW QSO with K4QF (EM64)
and four additional FT8 QSOs.

Finally, I drove to a roadside spot in EM65aa, where I finished by working KY4G
(EM64), AB4DX (QRP portable in EM64), AG4V (EM55), and AJ6T (EM66).  I mention
all of these guys specifically because they were the only four stations to work
me from all four of the grids I activated.  Many thanks to all of you for
sticking it out.

Participation in all seemed good, although a couple of regulars had to sit this
one out, costing me several Qs and mults, but this is still a personal best
score for a 222 Sprint.  I really appreciate how much the activity levels have
risen over the past few years in the Southeast on 222.

I did have one technical problem in that I have a relatively-new issue with
voltage drop causing the FT-736R to go "out to lunch" whenever I run
more than about 60-70W out of the amp.  Consequently, I was "low
power" (<100W) for all of this one.  I'll work on it and try to be up to
100W for June.

I am looking forward to seeing everyone in the 432 Sprint next Wednesday night.
I am contemplating a return to EM75/74 for that one.

Figures below do not include one QSO with another rover whose 6-digit grid is
unknown.
Total DX: 6524 km
Best DX: W4DEX (EM64dq<>EM95tg), 672 km/417 mi
Avg DX:  272 km/169 mi

Mode breakdown:
22 FT8
2 CW
1 SSB

Rig:  Yaesu FT-736R w/Mirage C2512G amp, ~70W
Mobile antenna:  M² HO loop
Portable antenna:  Directive Systems 10-element K1FO "Rover" Yagi