[3830] IG-RY RTTY KU2M Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IG-RY RTTY KU2M Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 19:00:16 +0000
                    IG-RY WW RTTY Contest - 2023

Call: KU2M
Operator(s): KU2M
Station: KU2M

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Wayne, NJ

   80:   22    19
   40:  108    57
   20:  231    66
   15:  260    68
   10:   81    48
-------------------
Total:  702   258  Total Score = 181,116

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I used to use the MMVARI RTTY decoding engine inside N1MM+, my contest logging
program, until something changed in the mysterious cyberworld and N1MM+ suddenly
began barfing when using MMVARI in Windows 11, causing unrecoverable crashes and
necessitating going in the program folder, trashing the program's .ini file and
configuring N1MM all over again from scratch, which after a while becomes, well,
annoying. The N1MM people told me to switch to MMTTY instead of MMVARI, but I
have had no success getting my radio to work with MMTTY, and the N1MM experts
have no idea why it doesn't work either, so I was not able to run my favorite
logging program in RTTY.

It became apparent that with all these lemons, it might be time to make
lemonade, so I ran my radio with its built-in RTTY interface and used two
separate keyboards, one to key the radio and another for logging on the
computer. This was a bit clumsy and cumbersome but after a while I got the hang
of it and, I must confess, it was a bit more engaging than the usual "mouse
clicking" activity of RY contests, which can be somewhat boring.

I wasn't initially intrigued by this contest since it has a strange multiplier
(the first year of license), but after a while I began to appreciate that
because finding out when someone first became a ham lent a human dimension to
familiar calls, and discovering if the next guy worked was a "new one"
or not became an amusing game of chance. So, I got sucked in and spent more time
than I expected. 10M on Saturday was very disappointing - almost dead here in
the KU2M Triangle. 10M was a little better on Sunday, and allowed some recovery,
but wasn't anything close to the activity on 15 and 20 (or 40). 80 was my
poorest showing, but I'm not complaining, because my modest inverted Vee is
worlds better than the last thing I was using on that band.

The end of the story is that I also have a K4, and decided, after the IG-RY test
was over, to see if I could get that radio to work with MMTTY. Bingo! Unlike my
main radio, there is very detailed information on setting up the K4 (courtesy of
Elecraft) with MMTTY that allowed a successful setup, so I'll try using it in
the next RTTY contest.