[3830] 144SprngSprnt N2SLN(@N2SLN/P) Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 144SprngSprnt N2SLN(@N2SLN/P) Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2023 14:38:07 +0000
                    144 MHz Spring Sprint - 2023

Call: N2SLN
Operator(s): N2SLN
Station: N2SLN/P

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN22
Operating Time (hrs): 2.75

Unforseen circumstances ruined both 2m sprints in 2022, which means I couldn't
test my new antenna and was itching to try it out in 2023. So after a 90-minute
drive, I arrived early at my eastern FN22 hilltop where the snow hadn't fully
melted yet and began the one-hour setup. It's a slightly modified version of my
original 4-stack omni. Once the antenna was in the air at 6:15, I listened for
beacons and the local ones were loud, but Virginia beacon WA1ZMS/B FM07 was
unusually weak. That was my first clue that propagation was less than neutral.
The troposphere was cold and dry. Nonetheless, Virginia station WA4LM FM27
showed up at 332.1 miles (534.5 km) and was loud. Strangely, he was the only
station I worked in the FM grid field despite other FM grids being closer. Thank
you for pointing north and tuning the VFO. In the third hour I hadn't worked
anyone and began thinking about tearing down even earlier than the pre-planned
10 PM hour. Then I began hearing excessively weak CW on 144.198 and decided to
stick around to see if the band would improve enough for a contact. It took me
about 10 minutes to piece together the callsign on QSB peaks. It was southern
Ohio station K8RYU EM99 for a best DX of 413.4 miles (665.2 km). I decided that
was the right way to end the sprint and began tearing down a few minutes before
10 PM in 30-degree wx.