[3830] GaQP AD4EB Rover M/SCW LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] GaQP AD4EB Rover M/SCW LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 17:34:31 +0000
                    Georgia QSO Party - 2023

Call: AD4EB
Operator(s): AD4EB AC6ZM
Station: AD4EB

Class: Rover M/SCW LP
QTH: TN

   15:    53
--------------------
Total:  2998    0  CW Mults = 50  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 299,800

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

This was the first time Juan AC6ZM and I teamed up for a mobile QSO party, and
we had a blast.  Band conditions were superb, participation was good, weather
was not so great due to rain all day Saturday and drizzle Sunday but we managed.
 We worked all 66 planned counties and stayed mostly right on schedule.

Here are a few observations:

1) Pileups seemed much bigger than usual, was expecting smaller ones due to the
Easter celebration.  This was possibly because there were only a few mobiles in
the contest, which increased the focus on us.

2) Too many folks were zero beat on our frequency, made it very difficult
pulling calls out, and for people to hear us come back to them.  Would sure be
nice if operators made a point to spread out a bit more.

3) The pileups got pretty unruly at times, some were sending their call
repetitively too often which kind of made a mess of things. But most were very
polite, made a single call slightly off frequency, waited their turn, and got
picked up quickly.  Thanks to you guys.

4) Those that used my posted information on QRZ.com had the best success.  On
QRZ.com you will find a link to APRS.fi where you can track us live during the
contest.  It shows our exact location within each country and where we are
going.  No reason to jump into a big pileup, just watch APRS and wait a bit.
Also on QRZ.com are the estimated times we enter each county.

5) Stations were incredibly loud on all bands both domestic and DX.  15m was
open but not many takers.  DL3DXX and OM2VL moved us up there numerous times.

6) We took advantage of the new GAQP rule that allowed self-spotting.  When
rates got slow, it sure picked up after we sent out our spot with county.  I
like this option, but understand why many do not.  It is not allowed in the FLQP
by the way.

7) We used my new 2023 KIA Carnival which worked flawlessly.  If anyone is in
need of a new vehicle for mobile operations this one is RFI free, both to the
vehicle and from the vehicle.

9) Missed ND, NM, HI, AK, UT, WY and onlyworked 5 provinces

Here are the top 20 ops based on number of QSOs:

DL3DXX (96) - Congratulations Dietmar!
W5TM (91)
OM2VL (88)
NS2N (68)
KA6BIM (64)
W4NZ (59)
NM2A (55)
VE3YT (47)
W8WVU (47)
AF5J (40)
N8NA (39)
K9CW (38)
AA4DD (37)
W0PI (36)
W5MX (36)
N4SS (34)
NX3A (34)
AA7V (32)
N4RS (32)
VE3MV (31)

DL3DXX Dietmar and OM2VL Laci were loud and they sure have the knack.  We could
tell they were using APRS.fi to track us, and their timing as to when to send
their calls during the pileups was impeccable.  And W5TM Ed always had a great
signal and was easy to copy. Often, seconds after we entered a county or
switched bands, one of them would there.

Thanks to all those that took the time to work us, and to KU8E who now gets to
process all these logs. Thanks also to Ted W4NZ for getting Don N4ZZ, then
AD4EB, and finally AC6ZM into mobile contesting.  It is all your fault Ted.

But most of all thanks to Melody and Melisa, our wives, that enabled us do ham
radio away from home during this Easter holiday weekend.  Juan and I are blessed
with two wonderful and supportive ladies.

73 - Jim - AD4EB and Juan - AC6ZM

P.S. Hope to work you all in the upcoming FLQP. AD4EB will be mobile CW with
Melody driving. Please go to my QRZ.com website and use the APRS link to track
us during the contest.