[3830] RSGB-FT4-ActDay AB1J SO-Open LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] RSGB-FT4-ActDay AB1J SO-Open LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2023 12:34:06 +0000
                    RSGB FT4 International Activity Day - 2023

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO-Open LP
QTH: MA
Operating Time (hrs): 5:16

   40:    1
Total:  128    1  Total Score = 128

This was a nice diversion on a cold, wet April Fool's Day. I decided to enter at
the last minute for something to do.

The contest seems problematic to me. There aren't enough participants to make a
critical mass, so many contacts have to be with non-participants, most of whom
don't know about the contest and often if they've worked you in the past they
won't work you again. It seems to me that as time goes on there will be a
smaller and smaller pool of eligible stations to work.

I assumed that the UK stations I heard were more likely to be in the contest.
This seemed to be true, or at least they knew what was going on and worked me.

I used WSJT-Z's automated modes some of the time, so I had to enter the Open
category even though I had only one radio. Still, I was glad to have the
opportunity to use automation and not have to submit a CHECKLOG. There's no way
WSJT-Z is contest-ready to run on its own, but it can be helpful.

73,
Ken, AB1J

Flex 6500
N1MM Logger+  WSJT-Z
20m, 15m & 10m attic dipoles
40m outdoor 66' outdoor stealth wire with indoor counterpoise
LoTW  eQSL  ClubLog