[3830] ARRLDX CW VE3NNT SOUSB20 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lesbrown@sympatico.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW VE3NNT SOUSB20 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2023 03:28:39 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2023

Call: VE3NNT
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VE3NNT

Class: SOUSB20 HP
QTH: FN14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 25.5
Remote Operation

   20: 1178   108
Total: 1178   108  Total Score = 381,672

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Since I can't use 15m due to my high noise situation, I decided to do a single
band 20m effort. Seeing some of the reported results, I'm wondering if I
shouldn't have tried 10m instead. 15m seemed to be hot too, but alas, not for me
this year! Conditions were mixed on 20m. Pointing north it was S5 noise floor.
Pointing south it was S3 noise floor. Was this just polar atmospheric noise or
some noise at my station? I'm sure I missed a lot of weak stations that the east
coast could easily work.

The internet was acting up the day before the contest with 50% packet loss and
up to 10 second latency, but luckily it ran smoothly for the duration of the
contest.

Since I had dinner plans Friday night, I started the contest Saturday morning. I
got up at 6 am thinking that I'd catch the band opening. Much to my surprise, it
was already hopping. It didn't last long though. By maybe 9 am European stations
were fading. I got up earlier Sunday morning, well before sunrise and again the
band was already hopping. Sunday was the doldrums. Lots of CQs with few takers.
I guess that's the thing with a single band effort. You run out of stations to
work.

Several multipliers showed up during the last hour making for complete chaos on
their frequencies. Talk about a zoo! I did manage to work every multiplier that
I heard except 9M2A.

I'll need to address my 15m noise problem in the spring so that I can do an all
band effort next year.