[3830] ARRL 160 K3KU Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 K3KU Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2022 02:04:57 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: K3KU
Operator(s): K3KU
Station: K3KU

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 3:12

Total:  QSOs = 236  Sections = 39  Countries = 1  Total Score = 19,000

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Since I'm not QRV until Saturday night, my approach to this Contest is to have
fun by running as fast as I can at my start ("fresh meat"; I wouldn't
be able to run much if I started the first night), then to stay up as long as I
have any rate and/or if I can make any DX or Western NA QSOs.  This year I was
hampered by a head cold that settled in Friday evening and left me pretty tired,
even with a good nap Saturday afternoon.  Nonetheless, ...

I hit the band 2338Z Saturday night.  Five S&P QSOs in two minutes (turning
the big knob) until I find a spot to call CQ.  Nighty-eight QSOs in 40 minutes,
a new speed record for K3KU -- though I deliberately stopped CQing a little
sooner than usual to boost the calculated rate.  About 20 minutes in N1MM+ said
I was doing over 170/hr.  Nothing further than WCF, WI, and QC; but lots of QSOs
from SC to OH to On, to ME.

Other than that opening run and a few other short runs, nothing spectacular.
Many other participants have commented on the poor conditions.  The band seemed
pretty quiet here, but no RF getting in from further out.  I could hear the Big
Guns in AZ, OK, IN, and Caymans, but not loud, and they could not here me.  Only
DX was a C6A. Go PVRC!  And TU to the op's in the Other Clubs.

An hour off from 01Z to 02Z, then push on 'til about 03Z.  My body was ready to
quit, but I had heard a station in MAR doing S&P.  I CQed here and there for
another 15 minutes until he answered me.  Then I S&Ped for another 18 QSOs
in 28 minutes, and QRT at 0348Z.  I needed some rest, and I didn't drag myself
out of bed Sunday morning to see what would show up.  Other reports indicate
that nothing showed up, so I had made a good tactical decision.

TS-590SG, 100w; MFJ 939K autotuner matching the 200-ft long dipole up about 45
feet; no RX antenna.  Lot's of fun.

Thanks for the QSOs.