[3830] CQWW CW VK9DX SOSB40 Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vk9dx@clockmaker.com.au
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VK9DX SOSB40 Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 05:16:46 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: VK9DX
Operator(s): VK9DX
Station: VK9DX

Class: SOSB40 HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: New South Wale

   40: 2600    35      105
------------------------------

Thanks to all who called in.

Quite happy with result. Unfortunately not enough to beat all time OC record set
by KH7B back in 2008, but there were simply not enough mults to work this year.
Not to mention the obvious: lack of UA/UR participants.

As a matter of curiosity:  70% of the contacts are with QRB of over 18,000 km
and further 25% over the distance of 8,000 km. A handful of contacts under 5,000
km are considered local. No disrespect to EA8 and PJ contestants, just saying.

Surely, sitting on the top of a remote island in the middle of Pacific has its
benefits. Except when the storm literally passes over your head. In the middle
of the first night, during a thick US/JA pileup, with no waning, I've found
myself in the middle of the most spectacular storm ever. I've started counting
the time between flashes and strikes. 15 seconds, then 12, then 7. I've decided
that at 4 seconds, I'll unplug the antenna. The storm caused total radio
blackout, with even the broadcast stations being completely wiped out. When the
entire spectrum went blank, and nothing to be heard or seen, I've had no choice
but to turn the damn thing off.
Yet as it came, the storm thundered away, and 45 minutes later the pileup
continued.

Another curiosity: I've started the contest on 7022 and 1550 Qsos later, I was
still sitting on the same freq... LOL.

A special thanks goes to all East Coast callers who persisted calling. For some
reason, W1-W2 were way down in mud. Thanks for hanging in there. Also for not
one, but two callers from Zone 40: JW8AJA and JW7QIA. Telepathy works: just when
I thought 'now is the time for FY5KE to call in' - he did. Ditto for VE2IM.

I can not speak highly enough of RA6LBS 4SQ switcher. Flicking between JA, SA
and NA in a fraction of second is simply priceless and this is why 4SQ would (on
my location) always beat a rotary beam.

See you next year.

Nick VK9DX

Asking for a friend who just turned 59: what is the oldest age one can still win
a contest?