[3830] CQWW CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 16:54:18 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 45
OpMode: SO2R

  160:  297    15       45
   80: 1009    14       66
   40: 1779    27       81
   20: 1590    27       84
   15: 1285    22       85
   10:  685    21       81
------------------------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

For the 2nd straight year, I warmed up a great 40m frequency low in the band,
only to have a couple of stations start CQing out of nowhere as soon as the
contest started. I think I'll skip warming up a frequency next year and just
start high in the band. RBN will spot me in a few seconds anyway. It started
raining just before the start and I 80m was noisy so I tried to stay on 40.

I had to deal with non obvious damage from Hurricane Ida. No lost elements, but
the top 20 meter yagi was blown loose on the mast or the mast was blown loose in
the prop pitch. In any event, the antenna constantly got quite a bit out of line
as I rotated it over the last month. I tried using a video cam to check it, but
couldn't get a good fix using that method. The 40 meter yagi rotator/controller
acted up this trip. I kept get no motion errors. I swapped out the controller
and was able to turn the antenna, but then I started getting error messages
again. I got out a 24 vdc power supply and made up some cables so I could turn
the antenna, but, as with the top 20 yagi, I couldn't be sure where it was
pointing. I decided not to waste time and save aggravation and simply not rotate
those antennas. I was further handicapped because Hurricane Ida also blew the
middle 20 m yagi such that it got stuck up against the tower pointing down the
East Coast (which was OK for SS.) I had a local climber check it out and he told
me all the bolts holding the boom to the mast had been bent and broken. He just
tied the antenna off pointing South just so it wouldn't fall off in the winter.

So I didn't have any flexibility on antenna direction on 20 & 40. I just
left them pointing at Europe for 48 hours. Not surprising, I worked exactlly ONE
JA the entire contest.

My drink of choice for contesting is Paradise Tropical iced tea. I ran out of
tea bags and just drank water the entire contest. I took one 3 hour break
Saturday night and slept about 2 hours. I was amazed at how well I felt all day
Sunday.

160m seemed noisier Friday night than Saturday. 15 & 10 opened early
Saturday morning, so I wasn't on 20 very long. All the high bands opened later
Sunday, so I stayed on 20 longer and wound up with more QSOs than on 15.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT