[3830] CQWW CW K1LT SO(A)AB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@groups.io
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K1LT SO(A)AB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 14:14:03 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: K1LT
Operator(s): K1LT
Station: K1LT

Class: SO(A)AB HP
QTH: Ohio EM89ps
Operating Time (hrs): 35.5
OpMode: SO2R

  160:   43    11       29
   80:  168    21       83
   40:  231    29      100
   20:  325    35      111
   15:  195    28      109
   10:  219    28      102
------------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

The Thursday before the contest I converted a 40-meter loaded dipole
element into a full-length dipole by shorting the loading coils,
removing the top hat rods, and adding wires hanging from the ends.
The idea was that eliminating the top hat rods would make raising the
element beside the guyed tower much easier.  However, hoisting the
dipole horizontally to 25 feet as a test showed the resonant frequency
going to 8 MHz.  Then when I tried climbing the tower to install the
dipole anyway, I had tower belt issues because I am too fat.  So I
aborted that plan.

Before the contest I expected to merely chase multipliers without any
other specific goals, but conditions were good which encouraged goal
expansion.  Eventually the targets became 100 countries on 4 bands and
more than 2 million points.  Done!

Some fun contacts: JS6TSE on 10-meter long path Saturday morning.
YS1MS was a surprise multiplier on 2 bands.  It was fun to work V85RH,
9M6NA, and DU3T in the space of 4 minutes.  It was fun to work E2A at
1404Z and E2E at 2335Z the same day on 20.  Couldn't be heard by E2E
on 40 - maybe a 90 foot high dipole would work better than a ground
mounted vertical.

N5NU/TI2 was very easy to work.  His unique keying style seemed to
keep the hordes away, which was nice for me although bad for him.  Go
read his 3830 story.

I was impressed by all the activity from zones 39 and 40.  Samoa: both
regular and American!  Nice to work both zone 1 entities.  Callsign
6Y6N reminds me of vacuum tubes.  ZZ7ZZ is a fun call.

DX worked: 3B8, 3B9, 3D2, 4L, 4O, 4U1U, 4X, 5B, 5R, 5W, 6Y, 7Q, 9A,
9H, 9J, 9M6, 9Y, A4, A7, BY, C5, C6, CE, CM, CN, CT, CT3, CU, CX, D4,
DL, DU, E7, EA, EA6, EA8, EA9, EI, ER, ES, EU, F, FK, FM, FR, FS, FY,
G, GD, GI, GJ, GM, GU, GW, HA, HB, HB0, HC, HI, HK, HL, HP, HR, HS, I,
IS, IT9, J3, JA, JW, KH2, KH6, KH8, KL, KP2, KP4, LA, LU, LY, LZ, OA,
OE, OH, OH0, OK, OM, ON, OX, OY, OZ, P4, PA, PJ2, PJ4, PJ7, PY, PZ,
S5, SM, SP, SV, SV9, T7, TA, TF, TI, TK, TY, UA, UA2, UA9, UK, UN, UR,
V2, V3, V4, V5, V8, VK, VK9N, VP2M, VP5, XE, YL, YO, YS, YU, YV, Z3,
Z6, ZA, ZD7, ZF, ZL, ZP, and ZS for a total of 137 entities, 14 more
than last year.

Equipment: K3S, P3, Alpha 8410; K3, P3, ETO-91B; high band antennas:
X7 at 101.5 feet and X7 at 61 feet; low band antennas: full sized 40
vertical over 32 radials, full sized 80 vertical over 60 radials,
60-foot 160 'tee' over 75 radials.  Beverages for low band receiving.
Arrays of short verticals for 160 receiving including homebrew
receivers and software for beam steering.  Writelog 12.