[3830] CQWW CW K8H M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW K8H M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 04:19:36 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: K8H
Operator(s): K7AR W7YAQ
Station: K8H

Class: M/S HP
QTH: KH8, OC-045

  160:    0     0        0
   80:   85    14       16
   40:  627    31       61
   20:  479    24       61
   15:  465    27       38
   10:  746    26       35
------------------------------

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Our lightweight expedition to KH8 for the CQWW CW event featured a multi-single
entry in the strictest terms.  One K3 radio, one KPA500 amp, choice of multiband
vertical (DX Commander or HF9V) in a small clearing in a verdant junglelike
environment, with two aged operators rotating through 3-hour or 4-hour shifts
for 48 hours.  There's nothing like 4 naps and 7 snacks per day to make your
body question what's going on!

We were alternatively experiencing overwhelming pileups followed by periods of
CQing into the wind with little response.  K8H is a nice short call, but totally
confusing to those who weren't aware of our special event or where were
operating.  Thus S&P was often incredibly frustrating when stations gave up
trying to just accept what was being copied, and would finally CQ without
putting us in their log.

We brought along a top-loaded vertical for 160 as well as a receiving pennant
antenna.  We basically heard nothing on 160, not even big guns.  Pre-contest
we've made several dozen FT8 QSOs on 160, so we were expecting better results
during the big event.  Could low band condx have been that bad?

While not ideal as a radio QTH, we were pleased to have the full upper floor of
a two-story cottage at a family owned B&B, Moana O Sina, on lovely grounds
on the southern coast of Tutuila, near the Pago Pago Airport.

Operating from the Pacific is always fun and challenging.  We were glad to put
the KH8 multiplier into your logs.

73,
Bob W7YAQ
Al K7AR