[3830] CQWW CW N5NU/TI2 SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, xagolds@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N5NU/TI2 SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2022 03:29:42 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: N5NU/TI2
Operator(s): N5NU/TI2
Station: N5NU/TI2

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: San Jose
Operating Time (hrs): 26:20

  160:    1     1        1
   80:  107    11       29
   40:  344    14       44
   20:  540    19       45
   15:  369    14       47
   10:  158    13       29
------------------------------
Total: 1519    72      195  Total Score = 919,548

If you were thinking, "Gosh, that guy's fist sucks... it sounds like he's
using a microphone to make CW," then you were correct.

If you were thinking, "Gosh, that guy's pathetically weak... I wonder if
he's using a cruddy wire antenna," then you were correct.

About 2 weeks ago, the chip inside of my Yaesu 991 which receives signal in the
key jack had blown from RF feedback.  I called a Yaesu tech in CA who said it
would ultimately require it to be sent in.  The only issue -- I'm still several
weeks away from going to the US.

However, I noticed that the memory buttons on the Yaesu still worked.  I
programmed a short/long CQ, 599 7, TU, and my call in the menus.  However, all
callsigns had to be sent by keying down the hand-mic.  It was either that or
nothing.  I ran between 17-22 WPM because that's as fast as I could key CW on
the hand-mic. I have a Macbook for general logging, but no contesting program on
it.  Also, I have no cables to go from the laptop to the rig.

I had asked around the week before looking for either a station to do the
contest from or for a rig to borrow.  Kam, TI7W said he was busy most of the
weekend.  Jon, TI5JON, drove across San Jose to troubleshoot with me but we
couldn't get it fixed.  Ultimately, I ran out of options.

It sounded as if there would not be much activity from TI this weekend.  I do
know that TI5JON and TI2OY ended up making a few hundred QSOs.

The station, which is entirely portable, is located on the 3rd story above the
library in the CINCEL language school in San Jose.  The antenna was a 71' random
wire with a 9:1 LDG balun and a 40' run of coax.  It was the lone antenna used
on all bands.  It slopes off the 3rd story of the building and is tied down to a
chain link fence on the ground.

It is a naturally high-angle radiator.  It is also located in a valley with a
lot of sporadic urban noise which was sometimes close to s6.  It also does not
hear very well unless you're on the East Coast of the US.

With the /TI2 callsign and not great signal, I ran 98% of the time.  I did not
chase mults or sit in pileups.  I left it up to people's S&P abilities,
packet spots, and RBN spots to bring people in.  It was kinda nice.  I slept
both nights, took time off for lunch, and several breaks for thunderstorms.

I had fun, gave out some points, and exceeded EVERY expectation of what the
random wire and microphone-CW could do.  I

Thanks for all the Q's.

73, Jason N5NU/TI2